Nunavut MP defends throne speech

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      Nunavut MP defends throne speech
      WebPosted Oct 2 2002 08:40 AM CDT
      http://north.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=oc2nunthrone

      Iqaluit, Nunavut - Nunavut's Liberal MP is taking exception to the flood of
      criticism of Monday's throne speech from Inuit leaders.

      Many Nunavut politicians felt the federal government ignored the Inuit in
      the speech. Nunavut Premier Paul Okalik was quick to express his
      frustration.

      "Unfortunately we don't have any reservations in Nunavut, but perhaps we'll
      have to look at that option," he said after the speech.

      Nunavut MP Nancy Karetak-Lindell says she thinks Nunavut is further ahead
      than some small First Nations communities, particularly those on reserve.
      She says people in Nunavut shouldn't be offended that there was little
      mention of Inuit in the throne speech.

      "I would much prefer to be very optimistic in how creative we can get in
      meeting our challenges," she says. "There's never enough money but we all
      know overall when you're talking about a small population, 28,000 people in
      Nunavut, we have received a fair amount of attention and dollars in the last
      three and a half years since we have been a territory and I'm very
      encouraged by that."

      Karetak-Lindell says many First Nations are still controlled and governed by
      an old Indian Act.

      In contrast, she says Inuit in Nunavut have their own public government, and
      can make their own decisions about how money is spent.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]
      COMMENTS?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      Escribe archives
      http://207.126.116.12/culture/native_news/
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"