Anishinabek Nation confirms Lieutenant Governor's visit June 21 -- Bartleman to celebrate first 'National Aboriginal Day' in office

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Anishinabek Nation confirms Lieutenant Governor's visit June 21 -- Bartleman to celebrate first 'National Aboriginal Day' in office

      Story Filed: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 1:39 PM EST
      http://library.northernlight.com/FD20020430670000082.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

      NIPISSING FIRST NATION, Apr 30, 2002 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- The Honourable James K. Bartleman will spend his first National Aboriginal Day as Lieutenant Governor for Ontario with the Anishinabek Nation. The Lieutenant Governor's office has confirmed that he will be on hand during National Aboriginal Day celebrations, June 21, 2002 at Anishinabek Nation Headquarters on Nipissing First Nation.

      "We are pleased to announce that the Lieutenant Governor for Ontario will be with us to celebrate National Aboriginal Day," said Anishinabek Nation Grand Council Chief Vernon Roote. "This is an occasion where we give honour and recognition to the outstanding contributions of Anishinabe people. We honour him for ascending to such a respected leadership level, and in turn, we are honoured by his decision to spend this special day with us."

      Mr. Bartleman, who was installed as Lieutenant Governor on March 7, is from the Mnjikaning First Nation and is the first aboriginal Vice-Regal in Ontario. This being his first National Aboriginal Day as Lieutenant Governor makes his visit to Anishinabek Nation headquarters a historic occasion.

      "This day has so much significance. We celebrate Mr. Bartleman's investiture as the Queen's Representative in Ontario, and commemorate the original spirit of first contact, where Anishinabek and Canadians walked hand- in-hand in the development of this country," said Grand Council Chief Roote.

      In 1996, the Governor General of Canada proclaimed June 21 of every year to be known as National Aboriginal Day. All Canadians are invited to recognize the diverse cultures and outstanding contributions of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

      An Open House will take place at Anishinabek Nation Headquarters on Highway 17 about 5 km west of North Bay, Ontario. The Lieutenant Governor will preside over the official launch the NIIJII CIRCLE, a new Public Education initiative about aboriginal issues. In addition, Mr. Bartleman will be on hand for the announcement of the recipients of the Anishinabek Nation Lifetime Achievement Awards and a new award called the Debwewin Citations for Journalism, presented to honour non-Native journalists for excellence in coverage of Native issues.

      The Anishinabek Nation incorporated the Union of Ontario Indians as its secretariat in 1949. The UOI is a political advocate for 43 member First Nations across Ontario. The Union of Ontario Indians is the oldest political organization in Ontario and can trace its roots back to the Confederacy of Three Fires, which existed long before European contact.

      CONTACT: For further information: contact: Bob Goulais, info(at)anishinabek.ca, (705) 497-9127 (days) or (705) 753-9576 (evenings); Refer to the accompanying information sheet or visit http://www.anishinabek.ca/uoi/.

      News release via Canada NewsWire, Toronto 416-863-9350

      Copyright (C) 2002 CNW, All rights reserved

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]
      COMMENTS?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      Escribe archives
      http://207.126.116.12/culture/native_news/
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"