Vancouver Events

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2013
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Lisa Mercure
      Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:31 PM
      Subject: Vancouver Events

      Great afternoon everyone�

      Just a note to send a few upcoming events in Vancouver to my friends, even if your likely already in the loop�

      13 Grandmother Moons Robes

      I may not be able to make it but our Senator/Elder Marge White has been involved and asked to help promote the event�

      Where: Musqueam Cultural Centre and Gallery

      Located at 4000 Musqueam Avenue, Vancouver V6N 3S2

      Tel 604-269-3349 www.musqueam.bc.ca

      When: September 14, 2013 from 4:00pm until 10:00pm

      We the PAFNW invite you to join us for the celebration & feast to initiate 13 Cedar Bark Capes that are being brought into world to bring women together to honour our collective cultural legacy. The 13 Capes have been created to honour the diversity in our Urban Community, this is a gesture meant to honour all Aboriginal Women.

      To accomplish this vision, The Pacific Association of First Nations� Women (PAFNW) has gathered many Urban Aboriginal Women together to weave 13 Cedar Bark Robes of Empowerment. The Robes were created under the guidance of Coast Salish Master Weavers, Donna Hanson and Wayne Bell and curated by Artist Heather Bell. This form of weaving has been a part of the fabric of many Aboriginal cultures for thousands of years! The Cedar Robes are a spectacular, dramatic and inspiring vision. The dream is that the capes will become a positive image to inspire and to heal from the devastating impact of the ongoing tragedy of the murdered and missing women.

      About the Cedar Bark Capes

      -13 Capes were woven by Urban Women who represent many nations and ages

      -During the project various elders shared traditional Knowledge

      -Each cape represents cultural diversity or a women's issues

      Breast Cancer, Metis, Trickster, etc.

      Reconciliation Canada Events

      Experience Reconciliation Week:
      Mon, Sept. 16 - Lighting the Fire of Reconciliation
      Tues, Sept. 17 - All Nations Canoe Gathering
      Wed-Sat, Sept. 18-21 - TRC National Event
      Sun, Sept 22 - Walk for Reconciliation

      I will be volunteering next Saturday and walking on Sunday for the Walk for Reconciliation and I hope to see some of you there!

      -For more information http://reconciliationcanada.ca/events

      -Here is the final program http://www.trc.ca/websites/vancouver/File/TRC-073.06%20BCNE%20program-web.pdf

      -To view why I'm attending and consider joining or sponsoring Reconciliation Canada: http://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=2108&AID=2366&PID=382993

      Have a fantastic week!

      Lisa Mercure

      BC Association Aboriginal Friendship Centres

      lmercure@... 1-800-990-2432