BCCLA and Union of BC Indian Chiefs visit Prince Rupert on Under-Investigated Deaths

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      BCCLA and Union of BC Indian Chiefs visit Prince Rupert on Under-Investigated Deaths
      BY JONATHON BROWN
      POSTED IN: NEWS
      http://www.classicrockcfnr.ca/bccla-and-union-of-bc-indian-chiefs-visit-prince-rupert-on-under-investigated-deaths/
      The BC Civil Liberties Association arrived in Prince Rupert this morning, looking to aid families of young First Nations whose deaths remain unresolved.

      The trip was inspired by a candlelit vigil to be held tomorrow at Rotary Waterfront Park for 21-year old Justin Brooks who was found dead in the area in March.

      His death follows two other deaths of teenage girls on the Prince Rupert shoreline that have been unresolved by police.

      Policy Director of the BCCLA Michael Vonn says her organization will speak with all families involved, and is still looking for other people to come forward with similar stories of under-investigated deaths in and around the waterfront.

      "We've essentially put it out through a number of social networking and other means of trying to access who believe that their circumstances warrant inclusion in our review here," Vonn says. "We'd be very very pleased to speak with those families."

      Vonn says the BCCLA will be open to talk later, even if they can't meet with everyone while they visit the area.

      Union of BC Indian Cheifs Grand Chief Stewart Philip will also in attendance.

      The candlelit vigil for Justin Brooks is scheduled for tomorrow in Rotary Waterfront Park at 8 p.m.