Update: You did it! Urgent appeal to help stop the Canada-China investment treaty (FIPA)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2013
      Urgent appeal to help stop the Canada-China investment treaty (FIPA)
      http://canadians.org/action/2013/Canada-China-FIPA.html
      ________________________________

      Update: You did it! Thanks to a late flurry of generous donations - combined with funds raised through Leadnow, Avaaz, the Green Party and other groups - we've hit our goal of $150,000! That means the Hupacasath now have the funds needed to see their pivotal legal challenge through to the end of the upcoming hearings. Please see below a personal note of thanks from Brenda Sayers of the Hupacasath First Nation.

      Any new donations will help begin a contingency fund in case the government appeals, so your help is still greatly needed<https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/5RWS1>.

      ________________________________

      GREETINGS FROM HUPACASATH FIRST NATION

      To the People of Canada, Hupacasath First Nation thanks you for taking a stand to protect our Canada and our constitutional rights.

      Hupacasath First Nation is extremely grateful for the trust you have bestowed upon our nation to undertake this important work on everyone's behalf. We thank you for contributing to the legal fund and we will continue to work hard for you.

      Not only have we reached our fundraising goal of $150,000.00, we have sent a strong message to Prime Minister Harper that more and more people are taking a stand on the Canada-China FIPA. We have banded together, all of us in this common cause, and put our differences aside for the greater good of Canada. As a country, we are uniting and becoming stronger.

      Take a moment to reflect upon what we have accomplished together. We have embarked on a journey with this historic court challenge and forged a path to contend with tribulations from the federal government.

      Hupacasath First Nation would like to hold up Leadnow, Council of Canadians, Elizabeth May, West Coast Environmental Law, Ellen Chambers, Tarah Stafford and Lori Waters for the relentless work that they contributed to the monumental task of fundraising over a 4 month period. Without their commitment, we would not be able to see our day in court. As well, a special thank you to Avaaz for joining our team and helping us reach a milestone. Hupacasath First Nation has known from the beginning we cannot do this alone.

      It is an honor to serve so many people.

      We are in this together. We stand together.

      Brenda Sayers
      Hupacasath First Nation