David P Ball: My journalism update! (March 27)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2013
      From: dpball@... [mailto:dpball@...] On Behalf Of David P Ball
      Sent: March-27-13 3:26 AM
      To: David P Ball
      Subject: My journalism update! (March 27)

      Hi friends,

      ALRIGHT. So my bi-weekly plan fell by the wayside, as I've been utterly swamped this month. So instead of you all not in reality having nearly enough time to read a couple articles... here are my 16 latest. :) Good luck.

      This has been a month of new beginnings - including launching full-speed into my affordable housing contract at Tyee Solutions Society (an independent non-profit, partnering CBC, Sing Tao, The Tyee and Megaphone, which I mentioned in my last email) with a few articles and attending a conference.

      And I helping launch a new podcast, This Week on Media Mornings - a weekly round-up of the best headlines, interviews and music from our daily Media Mornings radio show. Incidentally, I'm learning (slowly) how to operate the studio controls myself. Still, clearly, learning the ropes.

      You can also follow me on:
      · Twitter: @davidpball<http://twitter.com/davidpball>
      · Facebook<http://facebook.com/davidpball.net>
      · www.davidpball.net<http://www.davidpball.net/>
      If you want off this list, just let me know too :)

      David
      c. 778.318.4673<tel:778.318.4673>

      MEDIA MORNINGS SHOW
      VANCOUVER CO-OP RADIO - I co-host this morning news and talk show every Thursday from 7-8 a.m. PT on 100.5fm, and podcasting at www.w2media.ca<http://www.w2media.ca/>. Some of my recently hosted shows include:
      · Interview with federal Liberal leadership candidate Joyce Murray; and APTN's Jorge Barrera (2013 Canadian Newsperson of the Year) on reporting in Venezuela under Chávez. LISTEN TO PODCAST ><http://interview%20federal%20Liberal%20leadership%20candidate%20Joyce%20Murray;%20APTN's%20Jorge%20Barrera%20on%20reporting%20in%20Venezuela%20under%20Chávez>
      · Interview with two walkers with the 1,500 km Journey of the Nishiyuu in Québec, Gordon Matthews & Nathalie Mathias. LISTEN TO PODCAST ><http://w2radio.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/media-mornings-thu-mar-21/>
      · Interview with Victoria Marie, former Catholic nun, ordained female priest, member of the Vancouver catholic Worker on the election of Pope Francis. LISTEN TO PODCAST ><http://w2radio.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/media-mornings-thu-mar-14/>
      · Plus I have curated/hosted the launch of our weekly best-of podcast, This Week on Media Mornings - we're now on Volume 4. LISTEN TO THIS WEEK ON MEDIA MORNINGS ><http://w2radio.wordpress.com/this-week-podcast/>

      A Tyee Solutions Society article
      VANCOUVER FOREIGN INVESTMENT PANEL TACKLES 'SAFETY DEPOSIT' CONDOS FOR WEALTHY
      THE TYEE - Downtown Vancouver may have the equivalent of nearly two-dozen 30-storey condominium towers sitting empty, serving as merely oversized "safety deposit boxes" for the wealthy, according to researchers. But blaming the city's severe housing prices on absentee foreign investors could just be "this decade's version of the Yellow Peril," a UBC business professor has warned.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/2013/03/25/Foreign-Investment-Panel/>

      [cid:ii_13dab1ce12d39bd7]

      Tsur Somerville, at UBC Sauder School of Business, says the foreign condo ownership debate is tinged with racism; instead, we should simply look at vacant units. Photo by David P. Ball

      'WE CAN NEVER GET ELECTORAL REFORM UNLESS WE DEFEAT STEPHEN HARPER': JOYCE MURRAY
      RABBLE.CA<http://RABBLE.CA> - What does Liberal leadership candidate Joyce Murray have to say about co-operation, cannabis, climate change -- and Campbell's Cabinet?
      READ ARTICLE ><http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/david-p-ball/2013/03/we-can-never-get-electoral-reform-unless-we-defeat-stephen-harpe>

      [cid:ii_13dab1bd0f51d0c2]

      Liberal leadership candidate Joyce Murray. Photo by David P. Ball

      JOURNEY OF THE NISHIYUU SWELLS TO HUNDREDS AFTER 1,600 KM TREK
      WINDSPEAKER - From stinging minus-55C temperatures in the far-northern Cree wilderness beyond the reach of roads, to the melting woodland snows of temperate Algonquin territory, a remarkable youth journey has made its way by foot and snowshoe this past two months, 1,600 km from James Bay in Québec to Parliament Hill.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://www.ammsa.com/publications/windspeaker/journey-nishiyuu-swells-hundreds-after-1600-km-trek>

      Part I of a series on coal exports
      SOUTH OF BORDER, HOT DEBATE INVOLVES BC COAL PORT PLANS
      THE TYEE - Expansion for Asia export puts BC in middle of climate, jobs fight in Washington state.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/07/BC-Coal-Port/>

      Part II of a series on coal exports
      COAL OPPONENTS FORGING CROSS-BORDER TIES
      THE TYEE - Plans to ramp up exports from Washington, Oregon and BC are uniting opposition across 49th Parallel.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/08/Cross-Border-Coal-Opponents/>

      [cid:ii_13dab3d63bedf55b]

      Vancouver Island residents Lynne Wheeler and Dawn Christian join the blockade of BNSF coal trains heading north from the US at White Rock last May. Photo: David P. Ball

      A Tyee Solutions Society article
      SYMPOSIUM SHARES 'DOWN-TO-EARTH' FIXES TO HIGH-COST HOUSING
      THE TYEE - A two-day annual event has become known for offering a raft of creative solutions to the high costs of housing, which in Vancouver are among the world's highest and across the province create challenges for many communities.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/13/Down-to-Earth-Fixes-to-High-Cost-Housing/>

      MINING WORRIES RAISED AMID CELEBRATION OF SACRED HEADWATERS DEAL
      THE TYEE - While the B.C. government celebrates its win of a national environmental award for a pact that protects the province's Sacred Headwaters region, the leader of a group that shared the honours criticized ongoing proposals for coal mines in the area.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/2013/03/07/Mining-Worries-Sacred-Headwaters/>

      [cid:ii_13dab4dd06a6fbbe]

      Annita McPhee, president of the Tahltan Central Council, at her nation's signing of the Save the Fraser declaration on Dec. 13 in Vancouver. Photo by David P. Ball

      PHOTO: A SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN TO TARGET FALSE CREEK'S CONDO SILOS
      THE TYEE - Photo published in The Tyee.
      VIEW ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/14/Matt-Toner-Campaign/>

      [cid:ii_13dab35ddaa6afe2]

      Matt Toner, in his False Creek apartment tower courtyard. Photo by David P. Ball

      'WHAT'S YOUR GREEN JOBS PLAN?' COALITION ASKS PARTIES
      THE TYEE - As the provincial election campaign churns ahead, a new coalition of businesses, unions and environmental groups are hoping to change the conversation. The GreenJobsBC campaign is calling on all political parties to outline their plan for transitioning to an economy that offers both sustainability and decent jobs.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://The%20Tyee>

      WORLD WATER DAY MARKED BY LAUNCH OF BC WATER DECLARATION TALKS, COOPERATION
      HA-SHILTH-SA NEWSPAPER - With the United Nations declaring this year to be an "International Year of Water Cooperation," the combined leadership of B.C. Assembly of First Nations, the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, and First Nations Summit came together to hammer out a plan to cooperate across tribal lines.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://www.hashilthsa.com/news/2013-03-25/world-water-day-marked-launch-bc-water-declaration-talks-cooperation>

      [cid:ii_13dab032069bb52c]

      Chief Bob Chamberlin of the Kwicksutaineuk/Ah-Kwa-Mish First Nation speaks to water issues within his territory at the release of the Cohen inquiry's final report. Photo by David P. Ball

      CREATING SAFER SEX WORK: CAN A NEW POLICING POLICY IMPROVE RELATIONS BETWEEN POLICE AND SURVIVAL SEX WORKERS?
      MEGAPHONE - Standing alone under the bleak overpass by the Alexander Street railway tracks, DJ Joe holds up a small white card as a train rumbles by beyond a fence. A white car slides slowly by, and Joe clutches her arms for warmth from the chilly air. Her foldable, two-sided card would fit easily into the long-time sex worker advocate's pocket or wallet.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://megaphonemagazine.com/magazine/637/creating-safer-sex-work-can-a-new-policing-policy-improve-relations-between-police-and-survival-sex-workers>

      [cid:ii_13dab263b84c870d]

      DJ Joe, co-founder of Sex Workers United Against Violence, holds a new sex workers' rights card. Photo by David P. Ball

      ALLEGATIONS OF POLICE ABUSE OF NATIVE WOMEN HAVE ROCKED CANADA
      INDIAN COUNTRY TODAY MEDIA NETWORK (MAGAZINE FEATURE) - "Dismissive." "Out of touch." "A travesty for the victims."
      With these forceful words, one of the world's leading human rights organizations fired back at Canada's national police force and the federal government for their response to the group's report alleging gang-rape, sexual assaults and other abuses of Native women by those charged with protecting them. READ ARTICLE ><http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/03/14/allegations-police-abuse-native-women-have-rocked-canada-148170>

      BC CONSERVATIVES PROMISE TO ABOLISH CARBON TAX, AVOID LABOUR STRIFE
      THE TYEE - As part of its campaign promises, the BC Conservatives would abolish the province's nascent carbon tax aimed at curbing greenhouse gas emissions, party leader John Cummins said today.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/2013/03/05/Conservatives-Budget/>

      [cid:ii_13dab53137a74362]

      Conservative leader John Cummins at the party's budget reveal in Vancouver today. Photo by David P. Ball

      DYLAN MINER: AN ANTI-AUTHORITARIAN ARTIST ON BIKES BEYOND BORDERS
      INDIAN COUNTRY TODAY MEDIA NETWORK - For 36-year old installation artist Dylan Miner, the (in)famous insurrectionist Louis Riel's words are a guiding force. It is a force which has seen him building and displaying his trademark - and distinctly Indigenous - low-rider bicycles across the continent.
      READ MORE ><http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/gallery/photo/dylan-miner-anti-authoritarian-artist-bikes-beyond-borders-148074>

      MANITOBA MÉTIS WIN HISTORIC LAND CLAIMS CASE AGAINST CANADA
      INDIAN COUNTRY TODAY MEDIA NETWORK - Métis people in Canada are jubilant after the Supreme Court of Canada resolved a legal land battle that was 143 years in the making, the second historic constitutional victory in months.
      READ ARTICLE ><http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/03/08/manitoba-metis-win-historic-land-claims-case-against-canada-148078>

      MARY BRAVE BIRD, AUTHOR OF LAKOTA WOMAN, WALKS ON
      INDIAN COUNTRY TODAY MEDIA NETWORK - American Indian activist, author and educator Mary Ellen Brave Bird-Richard walked on at age 58 on February 14, of natural causes. But for many of her comrades-stretching back to the 1970s Trail of Broken Treaties and the standoff at Wounded Knee-Brave Bird's struggle for her people will never be forgotten. READ ARTICLE ><http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/03/14/mary-brave-bird-author-lakota-woman-walks-148164>

      * * * * *
      DAVID P. BALL
      award-winning reporter & photojournalist | mobile: 778-318-4673

      WEB: davidpball.net<http://www.davidpball.net/> | TWITTER: @davidpball<http://twitter.com/davidpball> | FACEBOOK: facebook.com/davidpball.net<http://www.facebook.com/davidpball.net>

      Co-winner, 2012 Canadian Journalism Foundation award for Excellence in Journalism (with The Vancouver Observer). Finalist, 2012 Canadian Association of Journalists community news award.

      Published in the National Post, Toronto Star, Huffington Post, The Tyee, Xtra!, Windspeaker, This Magazine, Indian Country Today Media Network, Briarpatch