Assembly of First Nations commends We Stand Together campaign to educate young Canadians

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13 1:33 PM
      From: my CNW
      To: Portfolio E-Mail
      Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:05 PM
      Subject: Assembly of First Nations commends We Stand Together campaign to educate young Canadians

      my CNW

      Assembly of First Nations

      Transmitted by CNW Group on : February 13, 2013 16:05

      Assembly of First Nations commends We Stand Together campaign to educate young Canadians
      OTTAWA, Feb. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - Assembly of First Nations (AFN) National Chief Shawn A-in-chut Atleo offered his recognition on the official kickoff of the Third Annual We Stand Together Campaign in Support of Aboriginal Education. This initiative brought forward by Free The Children along with the Martin Aboriginal Education Initiative and will see students, educators and parents across the country learn about the challenges, achievements and contributions of Indigenous Peoples in Canada.

      "I commend these two organizations for their leadership. A better awareness of First Nation, Inuit and M├ętis peoples and the realities facing our communities can go a long way in breaking the many stereotypes that we still encounter in this country," said AFN National Chief Atleo. "First Nations have issued a Call to Action on Education, a call to all Canadians to make education a door to opportunity and success. We will be unrelenting in our advocacy for justice, for hope and for opportunity for our children."

      This 10-day campaign (February 25 - March 8, 2013) will see Olympian Waneek Horn-Miller participating on a cross-Canada speaking tour, visiting schools and sharing her story with thousands of students.

      "First Nations seek support and understanding from all Canadians in achieving new systems and approaches that will deliver a quality education that values our languages and cultures consistent with our rights, Treaty and our respective responsibilities," said National Chief Atleo. "We have documented the underfunding of First Nations education for many years now, and are calling for fairness and equity to support success and unlock the full potential of our people."

      For more information, visit www.freethechildren.com/westandtogether.

      The Assembly of First Nations is the national organization representing First Nations citizens in Canada. Follow us on Twitter @AFN_Updates, @AFN_Comms

      SOURCE: ASSEMBLY OF FIRST NATIONS

      For further information:
      Alain Garon AFN Bilingual Communications Officer 613-241-6789, ext 382; 613-292-0857 or agaron@...

      Jenna Young AFN Communications Officer 613-241-6789, ext 401; 613-314-8157 or jyoung@...

      Assembly of First Nations - More on this organization

      News Releases

      CNW Group Ltd is pleased to offer a personalized e-mail service providing you with news and information from Canada's foremost public and private companies, government agencies and non-profit organizations. This free service lets you select the companies you are most interested in tracking and delivers their news releases directly to your personal e-mail address.

      To manage or unsubscribe from this subscription please click here.