Crees move to intervene in legal proceedings commenced by Strateco Resources

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013
      From: my CNW
      To: Portfolio E-Mail
      Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:45 AM
      Subject: Crees move to intervene in legal proceedings commenced by Strateco Resources

      my CNW

      Grand Council of the Crees (Eeyou Istchee)

      Transmitted by CNW Group on : February 5, 2013 13:44

      Crees move to intervene in legal proceedings commenced by Strateco Resources
      Grand Chief: "We are committed to protecting our environment and our treaty rights."

      NEMASKA, Eeyou Istchee, Feb. 5, 2013 /CNW/ - The Grand Council of the Crees (Eeyou Istchee), the Cree Regional Authority and the Cree Nation of Mistissini today filed an intervention in the legal proceedings recently commenced by Strateco Resources against the Quebec Minister of the Environment.

      Strateco's legal action seeks to force the Minister to issue a decision concerning the authorization of the Matoush advanced uranium exploration project. Strateco has also asked the Court to declare void one of the conditions recommended by COMEX, the environmental review panel established by the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA), that Strateco demonstrate the social acceptability of its project by concluding a written agreement with the Cree Nation of Mistissini.

      In their intervention, the Crees seek full rights of participation in the proceedings, and urge the Court to dismiss Strateco's request in its entirety.

      "The importance of social acceptability of proposed development projects in Eeyou Istchee is an essential aspect of the nation-to-nation relationship between the Cree Nation and Quebec," said Grand Chief Dr. Matthew Coon Come. "Strateco's legal action represents a fundamental challenge to this principle, and to our treaty rights, particularly the JBNQA. We are committed to protecting our environment and our treaty rights, for current and future generations."

      "The position of the Cree Nation of Mistissini, and the Cree Nation as a whole, is clear: we are opposed to uranium mining in all its forms in the Eeyou Istchee James Bay territory," Mistissini Chief Richard Shecapio stated. "We are not prepared to assume the grave risks that uranium mining presents, for thousands of future generations."

      The first court appearance in the proceedings is scheduled for Friday February 8, 2013 in Quebec City.

      SOURCE: The Grand Council of the Crees (Eeyou Istchee)

      For further information:

      Bill Namagoose, Executive Director
      Telephone: (613) 761-1655
      Cellular: (613) 725-7024

      Tina Petawabano, Director of Quebec Relations
      Telephone: (418) 691-1111
      Cellular: (418) 770-3132

      Jessica Orkin, Legal counsel
      Cellular: (514) 260-2622

      Grand Council of the Crees (Eeyou Istchee) - More on this organization

      News Releases

      CNW Group Ltd is pleased to offer a personalized e-mail service providing you with news and information from Canada's foremost public and private companies, government agencies and non-profit organizations. This free service lets you select the companies you are most interested in tracking and delivers their news releases directly to your personal e-mail address.

      To manage or unsubscribe from this subscription please click here.