Nothing sneaky here

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2013
      Nothing sneaky here
      By Steve Thomson, The Province
      January 30, 2013[cid:image001.png@01CDFEF0.D6E0DF40]
      http://www.theprovince.com/news/todays-paper/Nothing+sneaky+here/7892039/story.html
      I'm writing in response to Ben Parfitt's speculative and misleading Jan. 27 op-ed about upcoming proposed forestry legislation.
      Here are the facts: On Aug. 15, the bipartisan committee on timber supply released its unanimous report after visiting 15 communities and reviewing over 650 submissions. One of its recommendations was to enable the conversion of volume-based forest licences to area-based forest licences.
      On Oct. 9, I released Beyond the Beetle: A Mid-Term Timber Supply Action Plan - the government's response to the report, which contains the commitment to introduce legislation and states, "one requirement for any proposed conversion will be ensuring that the public interest is addressed, through the support of the local community, First Nations, stakeholders and the public."
      To reiterate: a public commitment in response to a public report, with public consultation needed before implementation - certainly not sneaky in my books.
      Steve Thomson, minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources