Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations community members have voted against the Agreement-In-Principle

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations Treaty · 58 minutes ago ·
      http://www.facebook.com/tlaoquiahttreaty/posts/555016764512470
      a.. Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations Agreement in Principle Vote Results

      Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations community members have voted against the Agreement-In-Principle.

      In total, 269 ballots were cast by members from Seattle, Victoria, Nanaimo, Port Alberni and Tofino. 58% opposed the agreement, and 42% voted in support of the AIP.

      We thank all TFN members for taking the time to get informed and participate in this important process.

      The objective of our negotiations is to build a strong future for our community that restores our historic rights, creates economic opportunity and protects our lands and resources. We believed the AIP was a tool to achieve this objective.

      Although we are disappointed with the outcome, we have listened, and will now take the necessary time to meet with the leadership to determine what the next step will be.

      -Negotiation Steering Committee