Yukon bison hunt includes young cancer patient

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 12:06 PM
      Yukon bison hunt includes young cancer patient
      WebPosted Mar 5 2002 09:46 AM MST
      http://north.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=mar5bison

      Whitehorse, Yukon - The scene outside Elijah Smith Elementary School is organized chaos as teachers, parents, and hunting guides pack winter camping supplies for two dozen Grade sixers.

      They are on a field trip of a lifetime.

      It's a week long bison hunting expedition and it will be a dream come true for young Yukoner with cancer.

      Joining the Grade 6 class on this trip is a third-grader from another elementary school -- Kristian Rideout.

      His patchy blonde hair still showing effects of recent cancer treatment, the nine-year-old was selected as a special guest on the hunt.

      "I wanna have some fun, getting outa school for a day, shooting bison, yessss!," he says eagerly.

      Outdoor education teacher Michel Sauve wanted to include Rideout in the hunt.

      "Hopefully it will give him the best day of his life, so far," he says.

      Tuesday morning a helicopter will air-lift Rideout to the hunting camp.

      There he'll join the hunters on snow machine as they attempt to stalk the herd and bring down a Yukon bison.

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]
      COMMENTS?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"