SASKATOON: Mayor defends cops against suggestion of cover-up

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Mayor defends cops against suggestion of cover-up
      http://sask.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/06/29/maddincops010629

      SASKATOON - The mayor of Saskatoon is responding to allegations of a police cover-up in the the death of an aboriginal man.

      The provincial justice department decided this week hat no charges will be laid in death of Rodney Naistus. Naistus was found frozen to death in January 2000.

      The Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations said Thursday that it still has suspicions that members of the Saskatoon police force may have been involved in the Naistus incident.

      "This suggestion that there is this 'blue veil of secrecy' or whatever it is, I am somewhat concerned by that," Maddin says.

      "I just think that we have to have some confidence in the RCMP investigation. I think that they've done - in all likelihood - a comprehensive job. They've submitted their report, and the decision has come down that there is no need for further action or implication of Saskatoon police officers. I'm satisfied with that result."

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]

      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine of international copyright law. Full copyright retained by the original publication.
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      "The true movement isn't a thing, or some collective entity of people, or even any person. It has no form or structure and so can't be distributed, or possessed, or detained. No one else can exclude you, as you must invite yourself." - Rush (When We Were Iron)
      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"