Musqueam Nation Marches to Protect Burials from Destruction

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2012
      From: Rachel Thexton [mailto:rachel@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:56 AM
      Subject: Musqueam Nation Marches to Protect Burials from Destruction

      Musqueam Nation Marches to Protect Burials from Destruction
      Recent Discovery of Infant Remains requires Urgent Action

      Press Release - (May 3rd, 2012) - Musqueam Traditional Territory, Vancouver, BC

      Chief Ernest Campbell, of Musqueam Nation expressed his unequivocal support for today’s march and rally to protect the burials of Musqueam ancestors at the once great Musqueam village, c̓əsnaʔəm (commonly known as the Marpole Midden), located in and around 1336 SW Marine Drive in Vancouver.

      Chief Campbell confirmed that, “Further work on the site has unearthed evidence of two partially uncovered infant burials and at this time we welcome any and all support to protect the two infants and other burials uncovered at the site including that received from other First Nations and Aboriginal groups who see this as part of their own efforts to protect their culture.”

      The Musqueam Nation has offered to work with the BC government, the City of Vancouver and the developers towards an agreement where there would be a land swap, facilitated primarily by the Musqueam Indian Band, in exchange for the protection of the site into a heritage park for all citizens to enjoy. Chief Campbell emphasized that the City has been cooperative and the developer engaged with the discussions, however at this time, it has been the Province of BC stalling the efforts to come to an agreement.
      “The Province of BC and its Archaeological Branch has over the past weeks delayed the negotiations with stalling tactics.” Chief Campbell added, “It has been extremely frustrating trying to deal with the province on this issue. It has made it very difficult to come to an amicable solution when one of the stakeholders is not at the table.”
      Chief Campbell finished by stating that, “the Musqueam Nation and our supporters will use every lawful tool at our disposal, including supporting the exercise of their right of peaceful protest by our membership, other Aboriginal people and other supporters, to protect our burials and village site.”

      c̓əsnaʔəm, the Marpole Midden village site and burials are, located in and around South West Marine Drive in Vancouver, BC within Musqueam Traditional Territory. It has been a known archaeological site for over 100 years and is recognized as a Canadian Heritage Site, containing priceless artifacts and undisturbed intact burials of the Musqueam people.

      Media inquiries:

      Ken McGregor, Band Manager, Musqueam Indian Band
      Phone: (604) 263-3261