BC, The Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal Council reaffirms its vehement opposition to fishfarms within their territories

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 6:45 AM
      From: Don <dbain@...>

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      January 31, 2002

      The Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal Council reaffirms its vehement opposition to fishfarms within their territories. The MTTC is located on northern Vancouver Island and adjacent mainland including the Broughton Archipelago which currently has 26 fishfarms situated within in. Despite the fact that 25 of the 26 fishfarms are sited in ecological sensitive areas and that the First Nations of this area do not want them to remain here, industry again wins out.

      �Until the provincial government can prove to us that there is no environmental damage to our territories, we will remain opposed to fishfarms.� States Chief William Cramner Chariman of the MTTC. �We are the steward of our territories which belong to our children and their children. These waters and the environment within it are far more important than the profit line of major industry and are certainly far more important than the promised political contribution for future elections. These waters, land and environment are for the enjoyment of the children of today and those yet to be born. It is not our right to devastate this pristine area in the same manner as has Scotland and the east coast of Canada.�

      Minister van Dongen claimed to have had his ministry review scientific studies despite the fact that every request for a scientific study has been ignored by the Minister. �The provincial government cannot show us any scientific studies showing that fishfarms are safe for our territories because none have been carried out.� Chief Cranmer points out, �Minister van Dongen claims to have had his ministry review scientific studies despite the fact that every request to have an independent scientific study carried out has been ignored by his ministry.�

      �The provincial government can rest assured that the Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal council will not permit the siting of one more fishfarm within our territories.� Chief Cranmer contended. �The Musgamagw people remain committed to ensuring the total removal of all fishfarms from our territories.�

      - 30 -

      contact:
      Chief William Cranmer
      Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal Council Chairman
      Alert Bay, B.C.
      Tel: 250-974-8460
      250-974-5516

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]
      COMMENTS?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"