The Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal Council reaffirms its vehement opposition to fishfarms within their territories

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2002
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      January 31, 2002

      The Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal Council reaffirms its vehement
      opposition to fishfarms within their territories. The MTTC is located
      on northern Vancouver Island and adjacent mainland including the
      Broughton Archipelago which currently has 26 fishfarms situated within
      in. Despite the fact that 25 of the 26 fishfarms are sited in
      ecological sensitive areas and that the First Nations of this area do
      not want them to remain here, industry again wins out.

      “Until the provincial government can prove to us that there is no
      environmental damage to our territories, we will remain opposed to
      fishfarms.” States Chief William Cramner Chariman of the MTTC. “We are
      the steward of our territories which belong to our children and their
      children. These waters and the environment within it are far more
      important than the profit line of major industry and are certainly far
      more important than the promised political contribution for future
      elections. These waters, land and environment are for the enjoyment of
      the children of today and those yet to be born. It is not our right to
      devastate this pristine area in the same manner as has Scotland and the
      east coast of Canada.”

      Minister van Dongen claimed to have had his ministry review scientific
      studies despite the fact that every request for a scientific study has
      been ignored by the Minister. “The provincial government cannot show us
      any scientific studies showing that fishfarms are safe for our
      territories because none have been carried out.” Chief Cranmer points
      out, “Minister van Dongen claims to have had his ministry review
      scientific studies despite the fact that every request to have an
      independent scientific study carried out has been ignored by his
      ministry.”

      “The provincial government can rest assured that the Musgamagw
      Tsawataineuk Tribal council will not permit the siting of one more
      fishfarm within our territories.” Chief Cranmer contended. “The
      Musgamagw people remain committed to ensuring the total removal of all
      fishfarms from our territories.”

      - 30 -

      contact:
      Chief William Cranmer
      Musgamagw Tsawataineuk Tribal Council Chairman
      Alert Bay, B.C.
      Tel: 250-974-8460
      250-974-5516