Rally against northern pipeline

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Rally against northern pipeline
      VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
      Brett Mineer
      9/1/2010
      http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1272648

      About 200 environmental and First Nations activists staged a rally in downtown Vancouver to oppose a proposed oil pipeline from Alberta's tar sands to BC's north coast.

      The rally coincided with one in Kitimat, where the Federal Regulatory Panel deciding the future of the Northern Gateway Project began public meetings.

      Critics of the plan by Alberta-based Enbridge say a spill from a tanker or the pipeline isn't a question of if, but when, "We carry the responsibility for our future generations. For our grandchildren and children. and that's why we're all here today." Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs.
      Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh says the party has committed to legislating a ban on oil tankers if they form Government, "We should have economic development that doesn't endanger our ecosystems. In fact, we can find economic development that's in consonance with our, with the beauty of the north. That is the kind of economic development we should be looking at. Not disrupting the ecosystems like they've done in the Gulf of Mexico or with the Exxon Valdez."

      The Enbridge proposal is worth 5.5-billion dollars.