Clean Energy Act News Release- Lakes Division,

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2010
      From: Sunny LeBourdais [mailto:svlebourdais@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 11:14 AM
      To: Don Bain
      Subject: Clean Energy Act News Release- Lakes Division,

      Weytk Don,

      Could you please circulate the following News Release regarding the Clean Energy Act.

      For immediate release

      May 4, 2010

      Sexqéltkemculecw / Salmon Arm, BC- British Columbia's new Clean Energy Act claims to set the foundation for a new future of electricity self-sufficiency, job creation and reduced greenhouse gas emissions, powered by unprecedented investments in clean, renewable energy across the province. Realistically Bill 17 will keep natural resource management out of reach of First Nations in the name of heritage advantages and clean, renewable energy resources.

      The Lakes Division is in agreement with Treaty 8 Council and other First Nations, in that the Act will remove many projects from an additional level of scrutiny which has provided a sober second thought to the Provincial Government's bull-dozer approach to Clean Energy. In essence it will have the wolf guarding the chicken house, as the Province assesses its own adequacy of consultation in what is clearly a conflict of interest.

      The Act removes the proposed expansion projects at Mica and Revelstoke from the BC Utilities Commission's review, which the Lakes Division were relying on to force the Provincial Government to the table to deal with Aboriginal Title and Rights. The Lakes Division have fully engaged in the EAO review of the Mica 5&6 projects and issued our own EA Certificates denying the Mica 5 & 6 projects and the proposed capacitor station until the Province engages the Lakes Division in deep consultation which must include past infringements.

      "We started conversations with the Provincial government regarding the Mica expansion projects and those processes were started in good faith, however now we know that these were in vain" Kukpi7 Nelson Leon, Adams Lake

      "The government has in essence changed the rules of the game halfway to the finish line, we have fought long and hard for our Title and Rights regarding the Mica and Revelstoke projects and now that is being thrown out the window in the name of Clean Energy" Kukpi7 Judy Wilson, Neskonlith

      The government is again placing First Nations as the bad guy so that we look like we oppose Clean Energy when in reality what we are opposed to is the approval and implementation of another law that will minimize our opportunities to have outside bodies and commissions assess the adequacy of consultation, not to mention the lack of consultation surrounding the Act itself.

      For more information please contact Sunny LeBourdais

      Sunny LeBourdais

      Sunny LeBourdais, B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Sc.

      The Lakes Division of the Secwepemc Nation

      Kenkeknem (Black Bear) Developments Inc.

      Technical Coordinator (Energy, Fish & Wildlife)

      Director / Biologist

      c/o Splatsin

      PO Box 460

      Enderby, BC, V0E 1V0