Rio Tinto Alcan and the Haisla First Nation ratify historic agreement in British Columbia

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      From: CNW Portfolio System
      To: Portfolio E-Mail
      Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 7:02 AM
      Subject: Rio Tinto Alcan and the Haisla First Nation ratify historic agreement in British Columbia

      CNW Group Portfolio E-Mail

      RIO TINTO ALCAN - EN

      Transmitted by CNW Group on : March 1, 2010 10:00
      Rio Tinto Alcan and the Haisla First Nation ratify historic agreement in British Columbia
      MONTREAL, March 1 /CNW Telbec/ - Rio Tinto Alcan's landmark agreement in principle with the Haisla Nation in support of its Primary Metal operations in British Columbia was officially ratified by the Haisla Nation membership.

      "We are very proud of what has been accomplished, and encouraged by the Haisla Nation's acceptance of this historic agreement. This is an important foundation for a solid, growing relationship with one of our closest aboriginal communities," said Jean Simon, president, Primary Metal - North America. "Our agreement is based on mutual respect and partnership, and reflects Rio Tinto's approach to integrating community relations into both project and operational planning."

      Dolores Pollard, Chief Councillor of the Haisla Nation said, "I am also very pleased that this agreement has received the blessing of the Haisla Nation. We now have a commitment of inclusiveness from the business that has been a part of our lives for the last 55 years, and a new beginning with Rio Tinto Alcan. I am confident that we will make the most of the many opportunities to improve our lives, both economically and socially."

      The Haisla Nation-Rio Tinto Alcan Legacy Agreement establishes a formal framework for the two organisations to work together for the next 30 years to maximise the opportunities and benefits of aluminium operations in Kitimat. The agreement, announced in January, was subject to a six-week Haisla Nation ratification process.

      "This agreement establishes a collaborative working arrangement between our two groups, and a new way forward for the Haisla Nation and Rio Tinto Alcan," added Paul Henning, vice president, British Columbia Operations and Strategic Projects, Western Canada, Rio Tinto Alcan. "This path was could only be made possible by supporting each other and actively working together over many years."

      About Rio Tinto

      Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group headquartered in the UK, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London and NYSE listed company, and Rio Tinto Limited, which is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange.

      Rio Tinto's business is finding, mining, and processing mineral resources. Major products are aluminium, copper, diamonds, energy (coal and uranium), gold, industrial minerals (borax, titanium dioxide, salt, talc) and iron ore. Activities span the world but are strongly represented in Australia and North America with significant businesses in South America, Asia, Europe and southern Africa.

      -30-

      For further information: Stefano Bertolli, Rio Tinto Alcan Media Relations, (514) 848-8151, stefano.bertolli@...; www.riotintoalcan.com

      RIO TINTO ALCAN - EN - More on this organization

      News Releases
      (102)

      CNW Group Ltd is pleased to offer a personalized e-mail service providing you with news and information from Canada's foremost public and private companies, government agencies and non-profit organizations. This free service lets you select the companies you are most interested in tracking and delivers their news releases directly to your personal e-mail address.