NWT, Metis attack Dogrib claim

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      Metis attack Dogrib claim

      WebPosted Dec 4 2001 06:18 AM MST
      http://north.cbc.ca/editorServlets/View?filename=d04clem

      Yellowknife, N.W.T - The North Slave Metis Alliance is seeking an injunction to stop the Dogrib land claim.

      It's happening in a federal court in Edmonton today.

      The Alliance leader, Clem Paul, says the nearly completed Dogrib claim ignores his group's traditional use of the region.

      "We were here before the Hudson Bay," said Paul.

      "We were here before the Northwest Trading Company; we were here trading amongst ourselves at the north end of Marion Lake."

      The Dogrib say the region's Metis will be included in their final land claim and self-government agreement.

      While some Metis in Rae are happy with that, Paul disdains the idea.

      "I'll kill myself before I become a Dogrib. I want recognition as a Metis person with aboriginal rights."

      Paul will not say whether the North Slave Metis want a seat at the negotiating table, or whether they want land, or cash. He says that still has to be discussed.

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]

      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"