UN AGENCY SAYS G-8 LEADERS 'MISSED OPPORTUNITY' ON CLIMATE CHANGE

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2008
      -----Original Message-----
      From: news11-admin@... [mailto:news11-admin@...] On
      Behalf Of UNNews@...
      Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:02 AM
      To: news11@...
      Subject: UN AGENCY SAYS G-8 LEADERS 'MISSED OPPORTUNITY' ON CLIMATE
      CHANGE

      UN AGENCY SAYS G-8 LEADERS 'MISSED OPPORTUNITY' ON CLIMATE CHANGE
      New York, Jul 9 2008 11:00AM
      Commenting on the outcome of the Group of Eight (G-8) Summit in Japan,
      the head of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) said the
      world's richest countries had shown insufficient leadership on climate
      change.

      "We are under pressure to act. We have no time left to waste," said UNEP
      Executive Director-General Achim Steiner. "However, I think the G-8
      leaders missed an opportunity to provide the kind of signal that would
      accelerate the international negotiation process,"
      <"http://www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=540&
      ArticleID=5864&l=en">he added.

      Mr. Steiner noted that the G-8 countries' agreement to reduce carbon
      emissions by at least 50 per cent by 2050 was a positive outcome of the
      Summit, but said that it did not go far enough.

      "I think the G-8 delivered what it could. But in terms of what the world
      needs, what the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has
      asked for and what is necessary in view of the Copenhagen meeting in
      2009 the results fall short," he said. "The South African Minister of
      the Environment called it empty slogans - where is the substance?"

      "The G-8 Summit has not delivered enough leadership. We have some 500
      days until we meet in Copenhagen to reach a global agreement," the
      Executive Director said, referring to the meeting next year where the
      goal is to agree on a new global climate change treaty under the UN
      Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), once the first phase of
      the Kyoto Protocol ends in 2012.

      "We have less than seven years to stabilize emissions globally. The
      absence of short- and medium-term targets and commitments by the leading
      industrialized nations is a shortfall of the Summit," Mr. Steiner added.

      "We are beyond the rhetoric of climate change. We must now put numbers
      on the table. We must also give developing nations the clear conviction
      that industrialized nations are taking their responsibilities
      seriously," he said.

      Mr. Steiner noted that a number of countries including Germany, Norway
      and the United Kingdom, as well as South Africa and Indonesia, are now
      committing to targets.

      "But when we look at the implementation of emission reduction targets
      under the current Kyoto Protocol, a number of industrialized nations are
      not even delivering on these relatively small targets. So what incentive
      is there for developing nations to make major investments if developed
      nations are not willing to take these significant steps forward?

      "We will continue to be stuck until all industrialized nations commit to
      firm targets - ones to be met by 2020 not in 42 years time," he said.

      Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who attended the Summit in Hokkaido,
      welcomed the G-8's statement on climate change, food security and
      development as a good start, but also stressed the need for speedier
      action in the days ahead.
      2008-07-09 00:00:00.000