Aboriginal conference set

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 7:27 AM
      From: RUSSELL DIABO
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;@...
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 6:23 AM
      Subject: Aboriginal conference set

      Friday � February 1 � 2008

      Aboriginal conference set

      Saskatchewan News Network

      Friday, February 01, 2008

      REGINA (SNN) -- A two-day conference has been announced for May in Saskatoon where groups will try to forge a protocol that Premier Brad Wall says will help First Nations and Metis people be "true partners" in the economy.

      Wall said the government's duty to "consult and accommodate" with First Nations and Metis people is established as a legal requirement, but also presents the province with an opportunity.

      "In Saskatchewan we have a labour shortage and we also have high structural unemployment amongst our aboriginal people, so there's a huge opportunity here to engage, to more fully engage, and to involve First Nations and the Metis people of this province in the economy, in the opportunities we have to develop our resources," the premier said.

      The conference is set for May 12 and 13.

      � The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008