First Nations to Shine World Climate Change Spotlight on Northern Boreal Forest Crisis

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2007
      First Nations to Shine World Climate Change Spotlight on Northern Boreal
      Forest Crisis

      News Release
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 30, 2007

      Coast Salish Traditional Territory (Vancouver) - Canadian First Nations, who
      are already on the front lines of the devastation being caused by climate
      change, will be asserting their voice at meetings being held during the
      United Nations Conference of the Parties (COP 13) talks in Bali next month.

      Dave Porter, a member of the First Nations Summit political executive and BC
      First Nations Leadership Council has been invited to attend and deliver a
      presentation at a major side meeting on the state of the Boreal forest. He
      will use the opportunity to talk about the climate-change induced
      pine-beetle crisis in BC’s interior and Boreal forest. This threatens to
      rival disasters in other major forested areas of the world, such as the
      rapid destruction of Amazon rain forests, but has yet to gain the same level
      of international awareness.

      “As stewards of the land, First Nations have a leading role to play in
      responding to the global climate change crisis that they had no hand in
      creating, but for which they are now among the first to be paying the
      price,” Mr. Porter said.

      “The COP 13 talks in Bali and the side meetings on forests are a chance for
      us to share our experience and ideas with delegations from around the world,
      to learn from others, and to establish ourselves clearly as participants in
      the battle to respond to climate change.”

      Mr. Porter, who leaves for the Bali conference on Monday, will take to the
      international audience the story of the devastation now being caused to BC’s
      interior and Boreal forests by climate change.

      His presentation will include a report of the rapid colonization of the BC
      Interior by the mountain pine beetle which has flourished because of climate
      change and has already destroyed more than ten million hectares of
      old-growth pine – an area that would swallow countries like Portugal or
      South Korea.

      It has created a natural disaster that dwarfs any seen before in the
      province and is growing worse by the day. The BC Interior is now filled with
      immense regions of dead and dying forest, creating a massive tinderbox just
      waiting for a spark to literally set it ablaze. It has now crossed eastward
      over the Rocky Mountains, infesting more pine, and this devastation is
      poised to spread through Canada’s boreal forests from coast to coast.

      The pine beetle infestation is already so entrenched that there is no hope
      of reversing the damage in the short-term. For now, the priorities are the
      adaptation and survival of the 103 First Nations communities in the midst of
      this disaster whose cultures and livelihoods are now in jeopardy, and
      containment to prevent the destruction from spreading to the rest of Canada’s
      Boreal Forests.

      Mr. Porter will be using the Bali Conference to network with other
      indigenous groups, environmental and conservation organizations and others
      to share information and ideas, and to engage the Canadian government’s
      official delegation to the conference.

      “This is our land, as the courts have yet again confirmed in the this month’s
      historic Tsilhqot’in Nation v. BC ruling by the BC Supreme Court, and we
      must and will be a part of the discussions to find solutions and of the
      solutions themselves,” said Mr. Porter.

      Mr. Porter also noted the UN recently adopted the Declaration on the Rights
      of Indigenous Peoples – and Bali is an opportunity for that Declaration to
      begin delivering results.

      “It is my hope, that, even though the Canadian government sadly chose to be
      among only four nations who voted against this declaration, it will now
      demonstrate political will and leadership and work with Canada’s Aboriginal
      leaders to respect and implement the principles and intent of the
      Declaration”, Mr. Porter said.

      “We believe that there are opportunities for Canada to work with First
      Nations to conserve large areas of northern Boreal forest which remains
      intact, securing vital habitat for forest-dwelling species whose southern
      ranges are being devastated and storing carbon for the long-term.

      “I am going to Bali to assert our First Nations voice and to champion our
      role in the urgent and pressing battle that we and the rest of the world are
      all already losing – the war to turn around the devastating march of climate
      change,” Mr. Porter said.

      -30-

      The First Nations Leadership Council is comprised of the political
      executives of the First Nations Summit, Union of BC Indian Chiefs and the BC
      Assembly of First Nations. The Council works together to politically
      represent the interests of First Nations in British Columbia and develop
      strategies and actions to bring about significant and substantive changes to
      government policy that will benefit all First Nations in British Columbia.

      For more information
      Dave Porter, 778-772-8542

      The UBCIC is a NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and
      Social Council of the United Nations

      This page and all other News Releases and Current Events can be found at:
      http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/News_Releases/