Urgent Declaration Upate -Please Forward-

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      From: alexis callender
      Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:12 AM
      Subject: Urgent Declaration Upate -Please Forward-

      URGENT MATTER - INDIGENOUS PEOPLES - GLOBAL CONSULTATION

      IMPORTANT NOTICE

      An agreement has been reached over the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The 'Co-sponsors' and the Africa Group of States have now reached agreement over an amended version of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

      The Indigenous Peoples Caucus is undertaking an urgent consultation with Indigenous Peoples delegations to determine whether the amended Declaration is to be supported or rejected. This important consultation ultimately means the amended Declaration is to be approved by the General Assembly or not adopted.

      The States that are bound in this agreement will represent a clear majority of the UN members and it will guarantee adoption. It is possible that all States will support the amended Declaration, except a few 'hard-line' opponents. We know who those opponents are.

      These urgent consultations will determine whether we can live with the amendments, and the Declaration is adopted, OR whether we cannot accept the agreed version, and the Declaration will not be adopted. Your careful scrutiny, combined with priority attention to this consultation, is called for.

      The attached document contains the relevant information, including a copy of the amended Declaration.

      All comments should be sent to the relevant regional coordinators, as shown in the document, so that an assessment can be made of the level of support or opposition.

      In addition you may receive separate communications from your regional coordinator in the regional process to determine responses.

      On behalf of the Indigenous Peoples Caucus 'Steering Committee' I extend our apologies for the urgency of this consultation. It is beyond our control. The General Assembly will consider this Declaration within the next seven working days in New York.

      Thank you for your attention to this matter and your urgent consideration of the situation.

      regards,

      Les

      ______________
      Les Malezer
      Chairperson, Indigenous Peoples Caucus at UN

      CONTACT
      Email: les.malezer@...
      Cell: +1 (646) 338 3029
      Website: www.ipcaucus.net

      OFFICE
      The Church Center
      777 UN Plaza
      IITC Office, 8th Floor
      New York, NY 10017

      Tel: +1 (212) 682 3633 ext. 3123
      Fax: +1 (212) 682 5354

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
        Hello all

        If there are others who would like the attachment email me at
        don@... and I will forward directly to you.

        Don