6798GWAII SGAANAWAAY SIIGAA IIJAA: HAIDA GWAII No. 8

    Apr 1, 2005
      From: "Simon Davies" <gaia@...>
      To: <Media Dist>
      Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:28 PM
      Subject: HAIDA GWAII No. 8

      ISLANDS BULLETIN NO. 8

      March 31, 2005

      ISLANDS SPIRIT RISING
      GWAII SGAANAWAAY SIIGAA IIJAA

      To all Islands people,

      INTERESTING FACT
      The Provincial government changed it own laws to get out of having to
      consult with the First Nations of British Columbia regarding
      forestry-related decisions.

      WHAT DO WE WANT?
      We want a forest industry committed to Islands stability, our communities
      and sustainable logging practices. We know big corporations concern
      themselves only with profits and not about the Islands communities. People
      who do not live here make decisions and it is we who live with the
      consequence. This impacts each and every one of us. Our reality is that our
      resources are taken at an unsustainable rate and shipped off the Islands.

      People who live on Haida Gwaii live here because of the strong sense of
      community, the connection to the land and sea and because it is a great
      place to raise children. This is shown by the amount of food and
      refreshments we are receiving on a daily basis. Feel free and welcome to
      visit the checkpoints. Visit the Line and then chat with your family and
      friends to inform them on what is going on. You can also join a phone tree
      to get the information out.

      We are so grateful for the support given. All of this would not be possible
      without your dedication. As well, the off-Island support has been
      overwhelming and we would like to thank everyone who is organizing
      fundraising events and sending in donations. There are emails, faxes and
      phone calls coming in daily from around North America and we will be posting
      these in binders at the check points for everyone to enjoy.

      WHAT'S HAPPENING OUT THERE
      Today, two unions representing over 10,000 Weyerhaeuser workers are
      protesting Weyerhaeuser's treatment of their employees across North America.
      According to the Steelworkers-IWA Chair, they are fighting "for fairness and
      dignity for working people, our families and our communities."

      Yesterday a United Nations Report came out stating that humans are damaging
      the planet at an unprecedented rate and "the ability of the planet's
      ecosystems to sustain future generations can no longer be taken for
      granted." This ties to concerns about the rate of logging here and the need
      for communities to start to take responsibility for their own future.

      The issue of the wood seized has been hitting the national news. Guujaaw has
      stated that the money from sale of the wood will be used to support local
      health, education, youth and cultural programs and facilities.

      ON THE LINES
      For safety and security reasons every vehicle going through the check point
      will have its license plate number recorded, the drivers name and number of
      people in the vehicle. We would appreciate everyone's patience during this
      process and please give yourself a few extra minutes to get where you are
      going.

      VOLUNTEER SIGN UP INFORMATION
      Call May Russ to sign on: 1-250-626-5252 or toll free 1-888-638-7778 or home
      626-5037. Call Nika's Danny at 559-8133 and leave a message if the machine
      comes on. Invest in your future, it's easy. Contact Melinda Pick 559-8834 or
      melinda_pick@... or cblake@.... Information is also
      available at www.haidanation.ca