27540Lil’wat Nation News Release: Justice Greyel l -Re: Squamish Nation v. British Columbia (C ommunity, Sport and Cultural Development)

    Jun 4, 2014
      From: Lucinda Phillips [mailto:Lucinda.Phillips@...]
      Sent: June-04-14 2:06 PM
      Subject: FW: *REASONS FOR JUDGMENT* VA S133374 -Justice Greyell -Re: Squamish Nation v. British Columbia (Community, Sport and Cultural Development)

      News Release

      For Immediate Release June 4, 2014

      The Supreme Court of British Columbia today announced its reasons for judgment concerning the Lil’wat and Squamish Nations’ petition challenging the Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development’s approval of the Resort Municipality of Whistler’s (RMOW) Official Community Plan (OCP).

      The Lil’wat Nation welcomes the decision of the Honourable Mr. Justice Greyell, which quashed the decision of the Minister to approve the RMOW’s OCP and declared that the Crown owed a duty to consult with and, if necessary, accommodate the Squamish and Lil’wat Nations.

      “Throughout the consultation process, we did not ever feel as though our concerns or interests were given serious consideration by either the Province or the RMOW. This decision vindicates our position and will hopefully encourage the RMOW and Province to work cooperatively with the Lil’wat and Squamish Nations in the future” stated Chief Lucinda Phillips of the Lil’wat Nation.

      The Lil’wat Nation will be reviewing the decision in more detail and look forward to the opportunity for a renewed and more productive dialogue with both the RMOW and the Province on matters relevant to the Nations within the RMOW boundaries. We hope that a revised and updated OCP can be achieved that balances the concerns of the RMOW with the Aboriginal Rights and Title of the Nations.

      The Lil’wat Nation asserts Aboriginal Title to the area encompassed by the RMOW, an area that lies within the core of Lil’wat’s Traditional Territory containing important historic village sites as well as sacred places and cultural sites.

      For more information:

      David Dorrans

      Director of Lands & Resources

      Lil’wat Nation