16167Jody Wilson-Raybould Elected New BC Regional Chief for the BC Assembly...

    Oct 1, 2009
      From: CNW Portfolio System
      To: Portfolio E-Mail
      Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:03 PM
      Subject: Jody Wilson-Raybould Elected New BC Regional Chief for the BC Assembly...

      CNW Group Portfolio E-Mail

      BC ASSEMBLY OF FIRST NATIONS

      Transmitted by CNW Group on : October 1, 2009 21:02
      Jody Wilson-Raybould Elected New BC Regional Chief for the BC Assembly of First Nations
      WEST VANCOUVER, BC, Oct. 1 /CNW/ - Jody Wilson-Raybould of the We Wai Kai First Nation was elected BC Regional Chief for the BC Assembly of First Nations today at Chief Joe Mathias Centre in North Vancouver during the BCAFN Annual General Meeting. Wilson-Raybould won on the 3rd ballot garnering 54% of the vote.

      Results of 3rd Ballot
      169 total ballots cast. 1 spoiled ballot
      Jody Wilson-Raybould 91 (54%)
      Shane Gottfriedson 77 (46%)

      Jody Wilson Raybould's traditional name is Puglaas. She comes from the Musgamagw/Laich-Kwil-Tach people, part of the Kwakwaka'wakw, the Kwak'wala speaking people. She is a member of the We Wai Kai First Nation and lives in Cape Mudge Village, Quadra Island. Jody holds a Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science. She obtained her law degree at UBC and was once a Provincial Crown Prosecutor in Vancouver's downtown eastside. She has been an elected commissioner to the BC Treaty Commission since 2003.

      "I am honoured to have been elected by our chiefs in assembly and by our communities to this position," said the Regional Chief, "This is an office of all of our chiefs and nations and I look forward to working with each nation as we move forward and implement our aboriginal title and rights including treaty rights," she concluded.

      Press Conference:
      When: Friday October 2, 2009 10:00am
      Where: Westin Bayshore Hotel Vancouver

      The BCAFN is a Political Territorial Organization (PTO) whose members are the 203 First Nations in British Columbia. The BCAFN is inclusive in its representation including First Nations involved in the treaty process and those that have chosen not to engage. In addition, the modern and historic treaty First Nations of BC are also members, which include the Nisga'a Nation, and the Douglas and Treaty 8 First Nations. An elected Regional Chief provides the political leadership and activities for the BCAFN, and this role is a three-year term, elected by the Chiefs of the First Nations of BC.

      The Regional Chief represents the regional concerns of the BCAFN constituents on the AFN Executive Committee to ensure that regional perspectives are included in National political discussions and decision-making. The Regional Chief also holds specific portfolios that deal with national policy issues and concerns. The Regional Chief hosts regional assemblies that allow for the First Nations leadership of BC to engage in open socio-political discussion in order to provide direction and mandates to the Regional Chief that are community-driven.

      -30-

      For further information: Anna Celesta, Cell: (604) 378-5611, jodywilsonraybould@...

      BC ASSEMBLY OF FIRST NATIONS - More on this organization

      News Releases
      (18)

      CNW Group Ltd is pleased to offer a personalized e-mail service providing you with news and information from Canada's foremost public and private companies, government agencies and non-profit organizations. This free service lets you select the companies you are most interested in tracking and delivers their news releases directly to your personal e-mail address.