Colorado farms planning for dry spell losing auction bids for water to fracking projects - The Denver Post

  • Teresa Binstock
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      http://www.denverpost.com/environment/ci_20299962/colorado-farms-planning-dry-spell-losing-auction-bids

      Front Range farmers bidding for water to grow crops through the coming
      hot summer and possible drought face new competition from oil and gas
      drillers.

      At Colorado's premier auction for unallocated water this spring,
      companies that provide water for hydraulic fracturing at well sites were
      top bidders on supplies once claimed exclusively by farmers.

      The prospect of tussling with energy industry giants over water leaves
      some farmers and environmentalists uneasy.

      "What impact to our environment and our agricultural heritage are
      Coloradans willing to stomach for drilling and fracking?" said Gary
      Wockner, director of the Save the Poudre Coalition --- devoted to
      protecting the Cache la Poudre River....

      .