Could we face the return of CJD? Experts fear it may lie dormant in thousands.

  • Teresa Binstock
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Could we face the return of CJD? Experts fear it may lie dormant in
      thousands.
      <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2055904/Could-face-return-CJD-Experts-fear-lie-dormant-thousands.html>

      By Lois Rogers London Daily Mail 1 November 2011

      Holly Mills was a lively teenager about to start university. But then
      she became so severely brain damaged that she was unable to move or
      communicate. Her diagnosis: CJD, the human form of mad cow disease. New
      evidence suggests that one in 4,000 people who were eating meat before
      1996 is probably carrying CJD.

      The findings by the Health Protection Agency --- which received little
      publicity when published a few weeks ago --- are mid-way results of a
      programme testing 30,000 samples of tonsil and appendix tissue removed
      during routine operations across the country.