Me: Snowmobilers "skim" lake water to stay alive

  • binstock@peakpeak.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 4:10 AM
      Snowmobilers "skim" lake water to stay alive

      By David Sharp
      The Associated Press
      03/01/2007
      http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5326656

      Portland, Maine - A snowmobile operator who encountered open water while
      racing across a partly frozen lake saved himself from drowning by
      accelerating fast enough to glide over the waves for at least a mile.
      Another rider was missing and presumed dead.

      Gary Huntley said he had never ridden a snowmobile over water - a
      dangerous practice known as "skimming" - but had heard it was possible.

      So when the ice on one of Maine's largest lakes abruptly ended during a
      ride Saturday, Huntley and a companion made a split-second decision to
      accelerate onto the water.

      "I just thought to myself that as long as the sled is moving and I'm
      sitting on it, I'll be able to breathe and live," he said. "If I end up in
      the water, I don't have a chance."

      It's widely known that snowmobiles can stay afloat for short distances on
      open water. The trick, riders say, is to maintain speed so that the belt
      driving the snowmobile becomes something of a paddle wheel. Let off the
      throttle, riders say, and the snowmobile will sink.

      State legislators outlawed skimming in 2003, but game wardens who
      investigated the incident credited the riders' instincts with saving their
      lives.

      "At least two of them did what was under the circumstances the best thing
      to do. But what a terrible position to be in," said Bob Meyers, executive
      director of the Maine Snowmobile Association.

      Huntley, 44, of Oxford, estimated he traveled about a mile before reaching
      safety. Wardens said the distance was at least 2 miles.

      A companion, Jonathan Herbster of Bedford, Mass., also survived by
      traveling a half-mile across the water.

      A third rider, Paul Blanco of Carlisle, Mass., was missing and presumed
      drowned. Divers found his snowmobile in 30 feet of water, but there was no
      sign of his body.

      Earlier that day, the men rode across three other frozen lakes that had no
      gaps in the ice.

      Huntley said he was traveling about 40 mph when he spotted open water ahead.

      He figured he was already on thin ice and would sink if he stopped. So he
      gunned the throttle, hitting the water at 80 mph.

      *

      The material in this post is distributed without
      profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
      in receiving the included information for research
      and educational purposes.For more information go to:
      http://oregon.uoregon.edu/~csundt/documents.htm
      email for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you
      must obtain permission from the copyright owner.