Thawing permafrost raises concerns for northern structures

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2001
      Thawing permafrost raises concerns for northern structures
      WebPosted Wed Apr 18 13:54:21 2001

      LONDON, U.K. - The thawing of permafrost in the far north due to global warming may have serious consequences for buildings and infrastructure, warns a new study.

      Frederick Nelson, a climatic researcher from the University of Delaware in Newark, reports in the April 19 issue of Nature that as the thawing and disappearance of permafrost accelerates, it could damage buildings, highways and pipelines.

      Not only is the melting permafrost affecting sea and lake ice, glaciers and vegetation, but it can also cause land depressions that can severely damage surface structures built assuming the permafrost would be … well, permanent.

      On slopes, thawing can lead to landslides, and thaws can lead to greater wave action along ice-rich shorelines causing severe erosion.

      Using a computerized climate change model, Nelson identified areas at low, moderate and high risk of thaw-induced land slumps.

      These areas include population centres such as Inuvik, as well as several North American highways and pipeline corridors.

      A large natural-gas production complex in northwest Siberia is in a high-risk area, according to Nelson's predictions. So is the Bilibino nuclear power station, located in the Russian far east.

      Nelson says that since permafrost changes occur gradually, it may be possible to predict and monitor thawing to reduce or even avoid catastrophic events.

      Written by CBC News Online staff

      FROM NOV. 16, 2000: Inuit witness climate changing
      http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?category=Sci-Tech&story=/news/2000/11/15/innu_change001115

      LINKS: Websites related to this story
      http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/view?/news/2001/04/18/permafrost010418#links
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine of international copyright law.
      <<<<<>>>>>
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Alternately if a name server is down:
      http://216.97.43.231/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      "You might as well ask why we go on breathing. If we stop breathing we
      will die, if we stop fighting our enemies the world will die." Victor
      Lazlo from Casablanca

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!
      " YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"