The Science of Humour

  • Ed Jason
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2012
      In a secular and post theistic society, organisation of
      transcendental experience moves into the field of science. So for
      example the knowledge of the future as displayed by prophets is open
      to analysis. Is it wanting, incomplete or wrong?
      We may find the practices of ritual, meditation, physical systems
      such as yoga or qi-ong have benefits. Does this mean we have to become
      fried masons, chant to our local lama or stand on our head? Sanity and
      rationality may provide some truthful insight. Science is sorting it's
      wheat from chaff. Are the mystics baking?
      A spiritual path that enhances our existing qualities and enables
      and empowers our well being often requires independent efforts.
      Otherwise we may be confined to partial, bogus or incompetent systems.
      Sadly that may be the best that is available. Can we provide better?
      It may be that inspirational understanding requires experiences
      closer to art than a methodical approach. Our balance may reside
      between the extremes of science and the genuine gnostic. Such an
      approach can yield a complementary rather than conflicting wisdom.
      Certainty, order and method may be programmed into us.. Is partial
      knowledge representative of the excesses of all confined thinking?
      Humour is not a science. It may be funny to follow or break rules. It
      is always appropriate to offer jokes at Nasrudins funeral. Nasrudin
      will never die. Sing and dance, for you are a funny and temporary
      creature. Altruistic qualities may transcend biological evolution.
      Dance and music may be expressions that will be difficult for AI to
      appreciate rather than analyse.
      There is much in our humanity we can reappraise. A simulation of
      humanity may have to include capacities that we consider redundant. A
      trans-human cyborg may need to suffer, die or feel emotions before we
      abandon the flesh.
      We may sympathise with the deluded theist or wish for a wider
      interior life for the convinced atheist. Each may find value in
      increasing their store of wisdom by being true to their ideals. It is
      not a question of sides but an invitation to a larger sphere of
      influences. Shall we leave it to chance?

      A visitor said, "Nasrudin some say you are wise and some call you
      fool, which are you?"
      "Such questions are easily settled by the toss of a coin but I seem
      to have spent all my money. Perhaps you can provide the means for an
      answer?"