irony

  • Frank Vriale
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2010
      *Salams*,

      In the spirit of the*, Ironic Sufi*.

      Love

      *Abdul Majid*

      In certain kinds of* situational or historical irony*, a factual truth
      is highlighted by some person's complete ignorance of it or his belief
      in the opposite of it. However, this state of affairs does not occur by
      human design. In some* religious* contexts, such situations have been
      seen as the deliberate work of* Divine Providence* to emphasize facts
      and to taunt humans for not being aware of them --- when they could
      easily have been enlightened (this is similar to human use of irony).
      Such ironies are often more evident, or more striking, when viewed
      retrospectively in the light of later developments which make the truth
      of past situations obvious to all.

      Much irony involves commentary that heightens tension in the life
      situation of *someone who needs to learn an easily known fact but
      somehow fails to learn it*.

      Definitions

      *Henry Watson Fowler, in /The King's English/, says "any definition of
      irony---though hundreds might be given, and very few of them would be
      accepted---must include this, that the surface meaning and the
      underlying meaning of what is said are not the same."*

      *Also, Eric Partridge, in /Usage and Abusage/, writes that "Irony
      consists in stating the contrary of what is meant."*

      *The word "ironic" is sometimes used as a synonym for "incongruous" in
      situations where there is no "double audience" and no contradiction
      between the ostensible and true meaning of the words. An example of such
      usage: "Lets not pretend we're not playing pretend." Barry Jalonic
      *

      * *

      *"Ironically, Sir Arthur Sullivan is remembered for the comic operas
      he found embarrassing, rather than the serious works he hoped would
      be his legacy."

      *

      *The /American Heritage Dictionary'/s secondary meaning for /irony/:
      "incongruity between what might be expected and what actually
      occurs."^[2] This sense, however, is not synonymous with "incongruous"
      but merely a definition of dramatic or situational irony. The majority
      of /American Heritage Dictionary/'s usage panel found it unacceptable to
      use the word /ironic/ to describe mere unfortunate coincidences or
      surprising disappointments that "suggest no particular lessons about
      human vanity or folly."^[3] *

    • yosyx
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
        :) thank you very much for those insightful and illuminating observations. humor is the only sense which the almighty (who is ever beyond any senses, ideas or imagination) has, without slightest doubt. therefore,

        spirituality without humor
        is like a corpse
        without the life breath.
        watch the skulls smile…
        see: laughter
        survives
        death!

        and irony, when applied skillfully and timely, is one of the indispensable weapons in the ongoing war against the blinding darkness if ignorance (the only "sin" i know). and most effective, too.

        Laughter
        Is fear's
        Greatest dread
        Its deadly
        Enemy.

        No fear
        Can survive
        Heartfelt laughter...
        Remember, lucky friend:

        God's will created
        All this
        With a wink,
        For amusement,
        Pure joy
        And everlasting
        Delight!

        Timeless bliss
        Beyond mind
        Impersonal and boundless
        Is your true, essential
        Nature.

        So, reposing in this remembrance,
        Cultivate fearlessly
        Your unconditioned
        Inner smile!

        whether irony is apparently incongruous or not, it is the effect that matters.

        shabbat shalom all, and thank you again, frank

        gratefully,
        _()_
        yosy

        --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, Frank Vriale <fvillage@...> wrote:

        > *Salams*,
        >
        > In the spirit of the*, Ironic Sufi*.
        >
        > Love
        >
        > *Abdul Majid*
        >
        > In certain kinds of* situational or historical irony*, a factual truth
        > is highlighted by some person's complete ignorance of it or his belief
        > in the opposite of it. However, this state of affairs does not occur by
        > human design. In some* religious* contexts, such situations have been
        > seen as the deliberate work of* Divine Providence* to emphasize facts
        > and to taunt humans for not being aware of them --- when they could
        > easily have been enlightened (this is similar to human use of irony).
        > Such ironies are often more evident, or more striking, when viewed
        > retrospectively in the light of later developments which make the truth
        > of past situations obvious to all.
        >
        > Much irony involves commentary that heightens tension in the life
        > situation of *someone who needs to learn an easily known fact but
        > somehow fails to learn it*.
        >

        > Definitions
        >
        > *Henry Watson Fowler, in /The King's English/, says "any definition of
        > irony---though hundreds might be given, and very few of them would be
        > accepted---must include this, that the surface meaning and the
        > underlying meaning of what is said are not the same."*
        >
        > *Also, Eric Partridge, in /Usage and Abusage/, writes that "Irony
        > consists in stating the contrary of what is meant."*
        >
        > *The word "ironic" is sometimes used as a synonym for "incongruous" in
        > situations where there is no "double audience" and no contradiction
        > between the ostensible and true meaning of the words. An example of such
        > usage: "Lets not pretend we're not playing pretend." Barry Jalonic
        > *
        >
        > * *
        >
        > *"Ironically, Sir Arthur Sullivan is remembered for the comic operas
        > he found embarrassing, rather than the serious works he hoped would
        > be his legacy."
        >
        > *
        >
        > *The /American Heritage Dictionary'/s secondary meaning for /irony/:
        > "incongruity between what might be expected and what actually
        > occurs."^[2] This sense, however, is not synonymous with "incongruous"
        > but merely a definition of dramatic or situational irony. The majority
        > of /American Heritage Dictionary/'s usage panel found it unacceptable to
        > use the word /ironic/ to describe mere unfortunate coincidences or
        > surprising disappointments that "suggest no particular lessons about
        > human vanity or folly."^[3] *

      • r.m.w.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
          ~ Salaams to everyone ~