Re: :)) adventures of good soldier svejk

  • jinavamsa
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hello Yosy and all,

      --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, "yosyx" <yosyflug@...> wrote:

      > friends, is anyone here familiar with the unequalled
      > masterpiece of jaroslav hasek, "adventures of good
      > soldier svejk"?
      >
      > to my surprise, i found out that this brilliant work
      > is not very popular in the english speaking world.
      > probably, due a poor quality translations, so far..
      > fortunately, the new translation:
      >
      > http://www.zenny.com/msiepage.html
      >
      > does it justice. having sampled it, i recommended it
      > warmly. (i was lucky to grow up on the polish translation,
      > regarded as equal, if not better, then the czech original).
      >
      > the book was published in 1923, but like any true work
      > of genius lost nothing of it everlasting freshness and
      > relevance.
      >
      > josef svejk is doubtlessly the most nasradinesque character
      > in the modern literature. besides, i regard this book as the
      > best and sharpest anti-war satire of the 20th century.
      >
      > respectfully,
      >
      > in love
      > yosy
      >
      > ps. ramadan kareem and shabbat shalom all!

      A belated reply, but yes I am familiar with this work and
      this translation (which I have and read here), based on
      your recommending this a few years ago....

      Jinavamsa
    • Yosy Flug
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
        jinavamsa wrote:

        > Hello Yosy and all,
        >
        > --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Nasrudin%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "yosyx" <yosyflug@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > friends, is anyone here familiar with the unequalled
        > > masterpiece of jaroslav hasek, "adventures of good
        > > soldier svejk"?
        > >
        > > to my surprise, i found out that this brilliant work
        > > is not very popular in the english speaking world.
        > > probably, due a poor quality translations, so far..
        > > fortunately, the new translation:
        > >
        > > http://www.zenny.com/msiepage.html <http://www.zenny.com/msiepage.html>
        > >
        > > does it justice. having sampled it, i recommended it
        > > warmly. (i was lucky to grow up on the polish translation,
        > > regarded as equal, if not better, then the czech original).
        > >
        > > the book was published in 1923, but like any true work
        > > of genius lost nothing of it everlasting freshness and
        > > relevance.
        > >
        > > josef svejk is doubtlessly the most nasradinesque character
        > > in the modern literature. besides, i regard this book as the
        > > best and sharpest anti-war satire of the 20th century.
        > >
        > > respectfully,
        > >
        > > in love
        > > yosy
        > >
        > > ps. ramadan kareem and shabbat shalom all!
        > >

        > A belated reply, but yes I am familiar with this work and
        > this translation (which I have and read here), based on
        > your recommending this a few years ago....
        >
        > Jinavamsa

        :) great! thank you, jinaji. do you mind sharing with us your impressions?

        anyone else, friends? the recommendation still applies!

        yosy (laughing through tears...)

        BOOM!
      • zora
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          thanks,Yosy for reminding on 'good

          soldier svejk"?
          'Dobri vojnik Svejk!..
           I was reading it in school 45 years back
          in Yugoslavia(Croatia)...it was funny..
          maybe this kind of humor is understood mostly in Slavic countries..
           First statue to Good soldier Svejk was contracted in Russian city St.Petersburg
          on  Balkan Square , to which is connected Belgrad's street.
          It is not by chance, because this anti war book of 'Good soldier Svejk'..starts with shout "To the Belgrad"
          (I hope it is translated so in English)
          Belgrad was capital city of Yugoslavia ...it was the time of First World War ...