Re: Nasrudin and the hungry donkey

  • yosyx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, "thukpa46w" <thukpa46w@...> wrote:

      > Once, when Nasrudin was serving as Qadi, or judge, two mwn came
      before
      > him with a dispute.
      >
      > It seems that one of the men had gone to the market to buy a donkey
      > from the other. The buyer had brought a bundle of bank notes which
      he
      > set on the table as he and the seller drank tea and discussed the
      > merits of the donkey.
      >
      > While they haggled over the price, the donkey ate the money.
      >
      > After hearing the facts of the case, Nasrudin announced,"The buyer
      > placed his offer on the table in good faith. It was accepted by an
      > agent of the seller and placed in escrow. When the payment was
      > accepted, the ownership of the donkey changed hands."
      >
      > "But what about my payment?" cried the seller.
      >
      > "Be patient," answered Nasrudin, "it will come out all right in the
      > end."

      hahaha thank you! incidentally, just now i posted
      another nasrudin donkey tale, on another forum...
      here it is:

      "where are you going, nasrudin?" asked
      a neighbour. "to the market, to buy a new
      donkey!" said nasrudin. "say inshallah!" said
      the neighbour. "what for? money is in the pocket,
      donkey on the market, all is fine..." retorted
      nasrudin, and strode confidently on. but after
      a few minutes on the market, he was relieved
      from his money by a pickpocket... seeing him
      plodding dejectedly back, the neighbour asked:
      "where is the donkey, nasrudin?" "i have been
      robbed. inshallah!" replied nasrudin instantly...

      any comments on this one, amigos?

      yosy
    • RWOOLSONN@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2008
        Dear Yosi,

        Nasrudin sure did not want to risk offending Him again! Above my desk I
        keep the initials "W W N S." (What Would Nasrudin Say) I find that it helps
        maintain my sanity and my sense of humanity. I would have said sense of humor,
        but whether I have one is hotly debated by my coworkers.

        You probably have heard the story of Nasrudin and the milk cow. It shows
        another aspect of Nasrudin's relationship with Allah.

        Nasrudin's wife decided to get a cow. "We can feed it table scraps," she
        told Nasrudin. "The upkeep will be totally free. Just think, you'll have fresh
        yogurt every day and a glass of hot milk with sugar each night, and we'll
        have extra milk to sell."

        So they got a cow and put it in the shed behind the house where Nasrudin
        kept his donkey.

        It was not long before the cost of the feed they had to buy for the cow, who
        couldn't live on bread alone, the labor of constantly cleaning out the cow's
        stall, and the tyranny of twice daily milking, one before dawn, which in no
        way was compensated by the meager amounts of milk the cow gave, soured the
        whole enterprise for Nasrudin.

        "Please, Allah," he prayed, "just cause the cow to die. At least I will get
        some kebabs and some chorba to eat. And I still have the recipe the butcher
        gave me for the liver that the raven stole." (But that is another story!)

        The next morning when Nasrudin went to the shed to milk the cow, the donkey
        was dead.

        "Oh, Allah," cried Nasrudin, "I didn't realize you couldn't tell a donkey
        from a cow!"

        Love and Peace, Thukpa

        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      • yosyx
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, RWOOLSONN@... wrote:

          > Dear Yosi,
          >
          > Nasrudin sure did not want to risk offending Him again! Above my
          desk I
          > keep the initials "W W N S." (What Would Nasrudin Say) I find that
          it helps
          > maintain my sanity and my sense of humanity. I would have said
          sense of humor,
          > but whether I have one is hotly debated by my coworkers.
          >
          > You probably have heard the story of Nasrudin and the milk cow. It
          shows
          > another aspect of Nasrudin's relationship with Allah.
          >
          > Nasrudin's wife decided to get a cow. "We can feed it table
          scraps," she
          > told Nasrudin. "The upkeep will be totally free. Just think,
          you'll have fresh
          > yogurt every day and a glass of hot milk with sugar each night,
          and we'll
          > have extra milk to sell."
          >
          > So they got a cow and put it in the shed behind the house where
          Nasrudin
          > kept his donkey.
          >
          > It was not long before the cost of the feed they had to buy for the
          cow, who
          > couldn't live on bread alone, the labor of constantly cleaning out
          the cow's
          > stall, and the tyranny of twice daily milking, one before dawn,
          which in no
          > way was compensated by the meager amounts of milk the cow gave,
          soured the
          > whole enterprise for Nasrudin.
          >
          > "Please, Allah," he prayed, "just cause the cow to die. At least
          I will get
          > some kebabs and some chorba to eat. And I still have the recipe
          the butcher
          > gave me for the liver that the raven stole." (But that is another
          story!)

          > The next morning when Nasrudin went to the shed to milk the cow,
          the donkey
          > was dead.
          >
          > "Oh, Allah," cried Nasrudin, "I didn't realize you couldn't tell a
          donkey
          > from a cow!"
          >
          > Love and Peace, Thukpa

          hahaha thank you, thukpa! i didn't hear this one...
          great!

          if you want
          special illumination
          look upon a human face.
          see deeply
          within laughter
          the essence
          of ultimate
          truth...

          (jalalludin rumi)

          yeah, and your friends are just jealous...
          remebmer:

          if you want to fly, my friend
          take yourself lightly.
          be like dust...
          make friends with the wind
          allow it
          to carry you
          wherever
          it
          wills

          BOOM!

          yosy

          ps. where are you from, if this is not
          too personal?
        • ross thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
            Why can Allah not tell the difference between a cow and a donkey ?
            Once again preaching what you cannot practice, ho hum.
          • Richard Woolson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2008
              yosy,

              Thanks for your comments.  As to your question, while I now live in America, I first heard Nasrudin stories in the tea houses of Sultanahmet in Istanbul some years ago.

              Here's a story I heard more recently.

              When George W, Bush, the Present Resident of the White House, came to Akshir on a visit, he dropped his pen as he got off the plane.  Nasrudin, who was there, picked up the pen and said, "Here, Mr. President, is your Weapon of Mass Destruction."

              "Why, Nasrudin," chuckled the Present Resident, "even I know that this is just a pen. not a WMD!"

              "With all respect, Sire," answered Nasrudin, "Since with a stroke of that implement you can plunge the world into war and seal the deaths of countless innocent men, women, and children, how can you not call it a weapon of mass destruction?"

              Love and Peace, thukpa