Balance

  • msalhi@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
      Nasrudin was trying his hand at becoming a dairy merchant, but soon
      realized that this entailed a lot of hard work and little profit. Soon, he
      came up with ingenious idea to double his profits by diluting the milk with
      water. Mixing his milk with equal amounts of water, he discovered he could
      sell twice as much milk and still charge the same price. Having made a
      substantial profit and established quite a name for himself, Nasrudin's
      milk became the most favored in the town, and he became one of the
      wealthiest merchants.
      One day a friend of his came to visit him at work and caught him in the
      act. "Mulla, do you not fear God!" said the man in an outrage, "people
      here buy your milk because they believe you to be a pious man and trust
      you, and here you are cheating them for monetary profit, do you not fear
      what will happen to you in the hereafter??!!"
      Embarrassed by this confrontation and considering that he had already made
      enough money, Nasrudin decided to reform his ways. "From this day
      forward," he declared, "I will no longer cheat!" True to his word,
      Nasrudin never diluted his milk with water again. Much to his surprise,
      however, his customers radically declined in number, people simply did not
      like the new product and began to accuse him of cheating them. Finally,
      Nasrudin decided to give up the whole endeavor and start fresh.
      "I will take all my profits and set sail to Mecca where I will go on the
      pilgrimage to the Hajj and will become like one born anew, and God in His
      infinite wisdom will guide me what to do!"
      While at sea, a monkey, which one of the other passengers had brought on
      board the ship, snatched Nasrudin's money belt which contained all the gold
      he had accumulated and climbed to the top of the mast. From there, the
      monkey would grab gold coins by the fistful, throwing one batch into the
      sea, and then another batch at Nasrudin who was standing down below
      laughing hysterically, until all the gold ran out. The passengers who had
      been watching in amazement approached Nasrudin, "Mulla, this is most
      unfortunate, but explain to us, WHY are you so amused by this?"
      "All that came from the water, has been returned to it, and all that was
      rightfully mine has been returned to me!"
    • yosyx
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
        --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, msalhi@... wrote:

        > Nasrudin was trying his hand at becoming a dairy merchant,
        but soon
        > realized that this entailed a lot of hard work and little profit.
        Soon, he
        > came up with ingenious idea to double his profits by diluting the
        milk with
        > water. Mixing his milk with equal amounts of water, he discovered
        he could
        > sell twice as much milk and still charge the same price. Having
        made a
        > substantial profit and established quite a name for himself,
        Nasrudin's
        > milk became the most favored in the town, and he became one of the
        > wealthiest merchants.
        > One day a friend of his came to visit him at work and caught
        him in the
        > act. "Mulla, do you not fear God!" said the man in an
        outrage, "people
        > here buy your milk because they believe you to be a pious man and
        trust
        > you, and here you are cheating them for monetary profit, do you not
        fear
        > what will happen to you in the hereafter??!!"
        > Embarrassed by this confrontation and considering that he had
        already made
        > enough money, Nasrudin decided to reform his ways. "From this day
        > forward," he declared, "I will no longer cheat!" True to his word,
        > Nasrudin never diluted his milk with water again. Much to his
        surprise,
        > however, his customers radically declined in number, people simply
        did not
        > like the new product and began to accuse him of cheating them.
        Finally,
        > Nasrudin decided to give up the whole endeavor and start fresh.
        > "I will take all my profits and set sail to Mecca where I will go
        on the
        > pilgrimage to the Hajj and will become like one born anew, and God
        in His
        > infinite wisdom will guide me what to do!"
        > While at sea, a monkey, which one of the other passengers had
        brought on
        > board the ship, snatched Nasrudin's money belt which contained all
        the gold
        > he had accumulated and climbed to the top of the mast. From there,
        the
        > monkey would grab gold coins by the fistful, throwing one batch
        into the
        > sea, and then another batch at Nasrudin who was standing down below
        > laughing hysterically, until all the gold ran out. The passengers
        who had
        > been watching in amazement approached Nasrudin, "Mulla, this is
        most
        > unfortunate, but explain to us, WHY are you so amused by this?"
        > "All that came from the water, has been returned to it, and all
        that was
        > rightfully mine has been returned to me!"

        hahahaha, cool tale, mohanned my friend!

        thanks!

        (reminds me what a wise man told me once, when i was
        a teenager. a rough translation: "yosy sahbi, the most
        important thing to learn in life is how to take the
        shit it throws at you ['basa'] in joy ['sababa']")

        :)
        yosy
      • Barry Stock
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
          Watching the Dalai Lama on television tonight with Michael Palin, the
          thing that is most important about him (the Dalai Lama) is his smile
          and his laugh.

          -bs

          > hahahaha, cool tale, mohanned my friend!
          >
          > thanks!
          >
          > (reminds me what a wise man told me once, when i was
          > a teenager. a rough translation: "yosy sahbi, the most
          > important thing to learn in life is how to take the
          > shit it throws at you ['basa'] in joy ['sababa']")
          >
          > :)
          > yosy
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • yosyx
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2006
            --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, Barry Stock <barrystock@...> wrote:

            > Watching the Dalai Lama on television tonight with Michael Palin,
            the
            > thing that is most important about him (the Dalai Lama) is his
            smile
            > and his laugh.
            >
            > -bs

            :) yes... as my dear deceased friend, benny, used
            to say: "not every situation may contain laughter.
            but laughter can contain all situations!"
            the dalai lama is doubtlessly a real 'mentsh'. and
            to think about all the shit he had to take from the
            chinese...
            real love is in spite of, not because.

            _()_
            yosy