Re: [Nasrudin] Whirling Dervish video

  • Atheleas@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      I don't know if anyone here is interested, I found this clip of some whirling dervishes.

      (Apologies for the unsubtle Christian proselytizing on the site where it is located!)

      http://www.evtv1.com/index.asp-itemnum-369

      Atheleas
    • jnsn583@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 10:27 AM
        What they call 'the dervishes entering a meditative, spiritual trance' , could also be called call diziness.

        I don't know if anyone here is interested, I found this clip of some whirling
        dervishes.

        (Apologies for the unsubtle Christian proselytizing on the site where it is
        located!)

        http://www.evtv1.com/index.asp-itemnum-369

        Atheleas

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sairah_moon
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 5:53 PM
          --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, jnsn583@... wrote:

          > What they call 'the dervishes entering a meditative, spiritual
          trance' , could also be called call diziness.

          Q In such circumstances, what part of you is not dizzy?

          Sairah

        • yosyx
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 6:44 PM
            --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, jnsn583@... wrote:

            > What they call 'the dervishes entering a meditative, spiritual
            trance' , could also be called call diziness.

            :) friends, can anyone tell the story of
            nasrudin, his son, and a donkey, and a gang
            of pretending whirling dervishes?

          • msalhi@uchicago.edu
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 10:01 AM

              >:) friends, can anyone tell the story of
              >nasrudin, his son, and a donkey, and a gang
              >of pretending whirling dervishes?

              A band of thieves, fleeing from the authorities, happened upon an
              abandoned dervish lodge, where they decided to hang out for a little
              while. Dressing up in patched robes and pretending to be dervishes, they
              waited to see if they could prey on the gullibility of unsuspecting
              travellers and rob them of their belongings. As they lay there in wait,
              watching the roads, they spotted Nasrudin and his son, who also happened to
              be travelling to another town along the same route. Tired from their
              journey, Nasrudin suggested to his son that they stop and seek refuge at
              the dervish lodge where they would surely be met with generosity and
              offered a place to sleep and food to eat. When they knocked on the door,
              they were very warmly welcomed by the "dervishes" whom, as expected,
              offered them food and lodging. Later that evening, the chief bandit,
              pretending to be the group's shaykh, invited Nasrudin to join in their zikr
              ceremonies and dances, the Mulla gladly accepted. When the dances started,
              Nasrudin, eager to impress and demonstrate his adeptness to his hosts,
              began to whirl non stop, barely taking a break, until he began to lose his
              bearings. Then the "shaykh" began the chanting:

              "Take my life, it is Yours, it is Yours!" the shaykh began
              "It is Yours, it is Yours!" the others, including Nasrudin, answered.
              "Take my heart, it is Yours, it is Yours!" the shaykh continued
              "It is Yours, it is Yours!" the others responded.
              "Take all my possessions, they are Yours, they are Yours!"
              "All is Yours, All is Yours!"

              Noticing that Nasrudin was beginning to loosen up and indeed, lose his
              senses, the chief bandit now introduced a new theme.

              "Take my donkey, it is Yours, it is Yours" he began
              "It is Yours, it is Yours!" everyone responded
              "Take my donkey, it is yours!" the "shaykh" kept repeating while looking
              directly at Nasrudin, and the latter, lost in a mystical frenzy and not
              wanting to be outdone, started repeating the phrase, over and over, louder
              than everyone else:
              "Take my donkey, it is yours, it is yours!"

              Finally, the Mulla passed out, and when he woke up the next day, much to
              his dismay, he found out that the thieves had left and had taken his donkey
              along with them. Enraged, he ran to his son. "Where is the
              donkey? didn't I leave YOU in charge of it!" he admonished the boy
              "Well... yes, you did," muttered the terrified boy, "but when the dervishes
              came to take it, I ran to get you, but then I heard you yelling at the top
              of your voice, 'Take my donkey, it is yours!' in front of everyone present,
              so I could only assume that was your wish!"

            • yosyx
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2 3:55 PM
                --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, msalhi@... wrote:

> [...]
                > wanting to be outdone, started repeating the phrase, over and over,
                louder
                > than everyone else:
                > "Take my donkey, it is yours, it is yours!"
                >
                > Finally, the Mulla passed out, and when he woke up the next day, much to
                > his dismay, he found out that the thieves had left and had taken his
                donkey
                > along with them. Enraged, he ran to his son. "Where is the
                > donkey? didn't I leave YOU in charge of it!" he admonished the boy
                > "Well... yes, you did," muttered the terrified boy, "but when the
                dervishes
                > came to take it, I ran to get you, but then I heard you yelling at
                the top
                > of your voice, 'Take my donkey, it is yours!' in front of everyone
                present,
                > so I could only assume that was your wish!"

                lol yeah, that's the one... thanks, muhannad me bro.