The Zoo

  • msalhi@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      It was well known that at the famous public zoo in Cairo, after the guards
      had packed up and left for the evening, all the animals would get together
      and have long smoking sessions late into the night, all, that is, except
      for the rodents, whom the other animals deemed unworthy to join their
      "circle". One day, however, the lion got a thorn stuck in its paw, so
      small that none of the other animals were able to help him in his painful
      predicament. None, except for the mouse whose stature and nimbleness
      enabled him to remove it. Eager to endear himself to the lion, the mouse
      approached the king of the jungle where he found him writhing in agony and
      dutifully relieved him of the source of his troubles. Grateful for the
      services rendered him, the lion asked the mouse what he would like in return.
      "Sire, all I want is your well-being," replied the mouse slyly, "but, now
      that you mention it, there is a small thing that I have always dreamed
      about, which I believe you would be able to help me with!"
      "Ok, speak up mouse, what would that be?" asked the lion with a benevolent
      smile
      "Well Sire," began the mouse, "I have always heard about the smoking
      circles that the others have late at night, but I have never been allowed
      to participate. I would love for once, just once, to be able to come and
      join the fun with the rest of the animals. I know that no-one would dare
      refuse you any request, so if you could just allow me to participate for
      one night, I would be very grateful!"
      "Done!" beamed the lion, "but on one condition!"
      "Anything, Sire", anything!" pleaded the mouse
      "When I decide you have had enough and it's time for you to go, I will ask
      you to leave, and I do not want to hear any argument, or pleading, or back
      talk, you will leave immediately and as quietly as possible as soon as I
      tell you!"
      "Of course, Sire, but of course!" agreed the mouse overjoyed.
      "So be it, then you will be my guest tonight!" replied the lion.
      So, later that night, when all the animals got together, the mouse arrived
      and sat beside the lion. The festivities began, the pipe was passed around,
      the aromatic smell of hashish wafting through the air, the sound of
      laughter filled the atmosphere and everyone was enjoying themselves. After
      a while, the lion looked over to the mouse, who was sprawled majestically
      at his side, and noticing that he was becoming visibly stoned, the lion
      decided to give him a little nudge.
      "mouse!" murmured the lion gently, motioning with his head that it was now
      time for the mouse to leave. The mouse, however, shot the lion a look of
      indignation and turned away. Somewhat puzzled by the mouse's reaction but
      still in a jolly mood, the lion decided to let it pass for a couple of
      "rounds" and then again looked over to the mouse who now appeared zonked
      out of his mind.
      "Mouse!" he nudged him once again, "I believe it is time for you to go!"
      said the lion in a firmer tone.
      Once again the mouse shot the lion a look of utter disgust and turned his
      head. Unsure of the mouse's inexplicable reaction and beginning to lose
      patience, the lion was nevertheless still in a good enough mood to let it
      pass for a couple more "rounds" before deciding to lay down the law.
      Finally, the lion looked over to the mouse, who now appeared to be high on
      cloud nine, and roared: "MOUSE!"
      At which point the mouse bolted upright in indignant outrage, turned to the
      lion looking him squarely in the eyes, and snapped angrily:
      "Will you kindly STOP referring to ME as "mouse"!!!"

      In honor of the return of our dear Yosy, welcome back friend, and a
      belated, but apparently well-deserved:

      BOOM!
      _()_

      Muhannad
    • yosyx
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In Nasrudin@yahoogroups.com, msalhi@u... wrote:
> [...]
        go!"
        > said the lion in a firmer tone.
        > Once again the mouse shot the lion a look of utter disgust and
        turned his
        > head. Unsure of the mouse's inexplicable reaction and beginning to
        lose
        > patience, the lion was nevertheless still in a good enough mood to
        let it
        > pass for a couple more "rounds" before deciding to lay down the law.
        > Finally, the lion looked over to the mouse, who now appeared to be
        high on
        > cloud nine, and roared: "MOUSE!"
        > At which point the mouse bolted upright in indignant outrage,
        turned to the
        > lion looking him squarely in the eyes, and snapped angrily:
        > "Will you kindly STOP referring to ME as "mouse"!!!"
        >
        > In honor of the return of our dear Yosy, welcome back friend, and a

        lol thank you, my friend, for this most delightful tale!

        and for you, muhannad bro - here is a story entitled "the king",
        dealing with the same subject - as posted on nasrudin long ago...

        > hi friends, this is a classic bedouin tale, told frequently around
        > seashore campfires... it was probably the first nasrudin story i've
        > heard in sinai, more then thirty years ago...
        >

        > In a certain kingdom the smoking of marihuana and hashish was
        > forbidden under a penalty of death. As a result, gradually all of
        the
        > kingdom's citizens smoked dope - all except the king and his chief
        > wazir (prime minister). One day the hearsay reached them too; but
        > upon inquiry everybody declined any knowledge of it. Eventually, the
        > king decided to try it out himself. He and the wazir, dressed up as
        > common men, went out to town, and visited one tavern after another.
        > They saw people sneaking out in small groups, and coming back
        > laughing, but whenever they asked about hashish the answer was: "are
        > you mad?! It's forbidden, there is death penalty for that!". Since
        > nobody knew them, they were not invited.
        > Finally, late at night, while they almost gave up, they engaged in a
        > conversation an old drunk, who freely admitted that he have been
        > smoking dope. "Sorry, mates" he said when they asked him if he has
        > some, "I wish I had. but if you want it so badly, go to the edge of
        > town and follow the small path towards the sea. There is a fisherman
        > there, Nasrudin. He'll sure turn you on."
        > The king and the wazir followed his advice, and indeed at the end of
        > the path found a small jetty, and next to it Nasrudin busy preparing
        > his boat for sailing. They salaamed him, and he without a word
        signed
        > them to assist him with loading the equipment on the boat. Then
        > gestured them to sit on the boat and they set out to sea. When they
        > were far offshore, Nasrudin lit a small "mangal" (open stove) and
        put
        > a kettle on. "Now," he said, "it's about time to have some good
        > smoke." the king and the wazir exchanged meaningful glances.
        Nasrudin
        > took out a piece of hash, and prepared a decent joint. He poured the
        > chai (tea) in three cups, and lit the reefer. After few drags he
        > passed the joint to the wazir. The wazir looked at the king
        > questioningly - the moment of truth came. and after all, the death
        > penalty... but the king nodded in approval, so the wazir, too, took
        > some healthy drags, with the king watching him intently. Then he
        > passed the joint to the king. Nothing unusual seemed to have
        happened
        > to him, apparently; so the king, too, had his share of decent
        > inhalations, and passed the reminder to Nasrudin. They had some tea,
        > and Nasrudin prepared and lit another smoke.
        > After a while the king felt compelled to reveal the truth. "You see,
        > friend" he said to Nasrudin, "in reality I am not just an ordinary
        > passerby. I am the king, and this is my wazir." "oh yeah," said
        > Nasrudin. "Great stuff, isn't it?"
        >

        > *******
        >
        > usually the storyteller ends pointing out to the sea, and
        > adding: "and the boat is still there - chai, smoke, some fishing,
        > chai, smoke..."

        BOOM!!!

        yosy
      • Barry Stock
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          (now just laughing)

          On Apr 1, 2005, at 7:30 PM, yosyx wrote:

          >> After a while the king felt compelled to reveal the truth. "You see,
          >> friend" he said to Nasrudin, "in reality I am not just an ordinary
          >> passerby. I am the king, and this is my wazir." "oh yeah," said
          >> Nasrudin. "Great stuff, isn't it?"

          -bs

        • msalhi@uchicago.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005