Hodja 10-12

  • Priscilla Howe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      Here are a few clothes-related stories:

      10. Nastradin Khodzha's cloak
      Nastradin Khodzha lived in the village right next
      to a field. In the summer, a gypsy camp took over
      the field. At night the fires glowed, there was
      music, dancing, noise, hullabaloo. Late one
      night, when the village was sleeping, there was a
      huge brawl, the sound of guns going off, enormous
      racket.
      Nastradin Khodzha, who was sleeping in his
      underwear, rushed out to help. He said, "What's
      going on? Are you killing each other?!"
      All around him, old people were cleaning up,
      others were packing their bags--the caravan was
      getting ready to leave. Just then Nastradin
      Khodzha realized that he didn't have his warm
      cloak. He heard someone yell "Get along" to the
      donkeys. The caravan left and nobody was left.
      Nastradin Khodzha said, "Oh, now I understand, all
      that noise was a fight over my cloak!"
      And that's how it happens sometimes. Sometimes
      one sees a wedding, sometimes a funeral. When a
      man tries to do something good, sometimes he
      suffers instead.

      Two versions of one story:
      11. Respect for the coat
      Nasradin Odzha was a judge. One morning, he went
      into a cafe. He was dressed simply, like a
      peasant. He greeted the Turks sitting in the
      cafe, but nobody answered his greetings. He said
      to himself, "Oh, my old mother, this won't do!" He
      went home and dressed in a new fur coat, then
      returned to the cafe. He greeted the Turks and
      they answered his greetings in Turkish. They
      called to the cafe owner, "Make a cup of coffee
      for Nasradin Odzha!" He made a cup and brought it
      to Nasradin Odzha, who began to pour it all over
      the left side of his coat.
      Another said, "Make a cup of coffee for Nasradin
      Odzha!" He made a cup and brought it to Nasradin
      Odzha, who began to pour it all over the right
      side of his coat. The Turks said, "Hey, Nasradin
      Odzha, what are you doing? We're treating you to
      coffee, and you're pouring it all over your coat!"
      Nasradin said, "Well, you paid my coat more
      respect than you paid to me.
      I came in here earlier, and you didn't even see
      me. I went home, changed clothes, came back and
      you paid respect to my coat. So, I figured the
      coffee was for my coat, not me."

      12. The clothes get respect
      One day Nastradin Odzha went into a cafe, in his
      old work clothes. He said to one and all, "Salaam
      Aleikhom." The response should have been "Aleikhom
      Salaam," but nobody answered because of the way he
      was dressed. He stayed for a while, then got up
      and left. He went home and dressed in his newest
      clothes--he had a brand new blue robe--and
      returned to the cafe, entering and saying, "Salaam
      Aleikhom."
      As he entered, still by the door, everyone stood
      up and answered, "Aleikhom Salaam, Khodzha efendi!
      Then they ordered a coffee from the proprietor.
      Khodzha took the coffee, opened his collar and
      poured it into his clothes. When the others saw
      that, they said, "But what are you doing, Khodzha?
      Why are you pouring your coffee all over the
      place? Look what's happening to your clothes!"
      He said, "I'm pouring this because your respect
      wasn't meant for me but for my clothes. I came in
      here earlier, said hello, but you didn't even
      notice me. But when you saw me with my new
      clothes, then you noticed my greeting!"

      These are from Bulgarian sources.

      Priscilla
      --

      http://www.storyteller.net/tellers/phowe/
      Listen to clips and order the CD "Chickens!" from