Hodja 1

  • Priscilla Howe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      I'm fairly new on this list and thought it might be time to de-lurk. A
      few years ago, I began translating some stories of Nasrudin from
      Bulgarian. This project expanded to include Croatian, Russian and
      French. At the time, I sent the stories to the main storytelling
      listserv, then to a smaller list. While I'm sure some of these stories
      have come up here before, I thought I'd send them to this list,
      periodically. Here's the first:

      1. Preaching in the mosque
      Nastradin Khodzha said to the people who were gathered at the mosque,
      "Do you know what I'm going to say?"
      "No, we don't know."
      "Well, if you don't know, I have nothing to say to you."
      The next time, he asked them again, "Do you know what I'm going to say?"
      "Yes, we know!"
      "Well, if you already know, I have nothing to say to you."
      The next time he asked again, "Do you know what I'm going to say?"
      Half of the congregation said "We know" and the other half said, "We
      don't know." And so Nastradin said, "Let those of you who know tell
      those of you who don't!"

      NOTE: I've retained the spellings from whichever language I'm
      translating from--Nastradin, Nasruddin, Nasradin, Khodzha, Odzha, Hodja,
      to mention a few. I think he answers, or doesn't, to all.

      Priscilla Howe
      --

      http://www.storyteller.net/tellers/phowe/
      Listen to clips and order the CD "Chickens!" from