every desire being carried out

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
      Nasruddin is struck on the head and falls into unconsciousness and is
      taken to the next world,
      where he is entertained, wined and dined, and generally for days and
      days does not lift a finger
      without his every desire being carried out to the last word.
      After a time, he begins to get a little restless, and asked
      one of the servants if he can
      help a little bit with the dishes or perhaps sweep the floor after
      the meal, however, the servant
      who has up to this time brought each and everything that Nasruddin
      requested, refuses...
      and although Nasruddin continues to ask to help do this or that, he
      is refused each time and yet
      all other requests for food or pleasure are fulfilled. Finally out
      of desperation, Nasruddin yells,
      at his servants, "If this is Paradise, I want no part of it !" To
      which the servant replied, "Who said this
      was Paradise ? You are in the other place."
    • Barry Stock
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
        We all (maybe not you Ed, since you have such a primitive nervous system)
        carry with us some idea of paradise. What is that idea, and what happens if
        you follow it to its conclusion? Most often there are desires to be reunited
        with the deceased, freedom from pain. Then what?

        I have recently come to grips with the fact that I find most descriptions of
        the afterlife boring and unattractive. What are my desires for the
        afterlife? To know everything. Not to know everything all at once, but to
        have the answer available. To explore without boundaries.

        All of this is a hindrance, probably. The desire for an afterlife a
        misunderstanding of what Life is, as if there were somewhere to go.

        -bs
      • Ulli Meybohm
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
          Barry Stock wrote:

          >We all (maybe not you Ed, since you have such a primitive nervous system)
          >carry with us some idea of paradise. What is that idea, and what happens if
          >you follow it to its conclusion? Most often there are desires to be reunited
          >with the deceased, freedom from pain. Then what?
          >
          >I have recently come to grips with the fact that I find most descriptions of
          >the afterlife boring and unattractive. What are my desires for the
          >afterlife? To know everything. Not to know everything all at once, but to
          >have the answer available. To explore without boundaries.
          >
          >All of this is a hindrance, probably. The desire for an afterlife a
          >misunderstanding of what Life is, as if there were somewhere to go.

          Maybe Paradise is just existence itself. And maybe the answers are all
          there, the only boundary which hinders us to get the answers is fear of
          our own nothingness?
          I think, if we truly (whatever that means) understand what non-existence
          means, what a tragedy that would be, then you will know, that paradise
          is here and now, and not somewhere else (in my humble opinion).
          Non-existence, the unlimited force which caused the big-bang, the root
          of the tree of life?
          Only a speculation....
        • yosy flug
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002

            unconsciousness and is
            taken to the next world,
            where he is entertained, wined and dined, and generally for days and
            days does not lift a finger
            without his every desire being carried out to the last word.
            After a time, he begins to get a little restless, and asked
            one of the servants if he can
            help a little bit with the dishes or perhaps sweep the floor after
            the meal, however, the servant
            who has up to this time brought each and everything that Nasruddin
            requested, refuses...
            and although Nasruddin continues to ask to help do this or that, he
            is refused each time and yet
            all other requests for food or pleasure are fulfilled. Finally out
            of desperation, Nasruddin yells,
            at his servants, "If this is Paradise, I want no part of it !" To
            which the servant replied, "Who said this
            was Paradise ? You are in the other place."<<<<

            :)

            All light

            And no shade

            Where can I rest?