Spirit of Peace:'Sacred Music & Art'

  • Mehr Aban
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2001
      Spirit of Peace 2001

      'Sacred Music and Art.'

      'In aid of Amnesty International'

      Saturday November the 10th, 2:30pm-10pm.
      At Holywell Music room, Holywell Street, Oxford, England, UK.

      Spirit of Peace is a non profit making organisation which was founded as a
      turn of the century project to create a space for the contemplation of inner
      and outer peace. Building on last year�s day of lecture and workshops this
      year we will celebrate by hosting a day of sacred music, poetry and art at
      the Holywell music room in Oxford on 10th November 2001. We will be
      exploring the media of music, poetry and arts as ways to explore the rich
      tapestry of our diverse traditions, and the spirituality behind our beliefs.

      To conclude the day there will be a coming together in an improvised finale
      involving all the performers and any members of the audience who wish to
      participate, so please bring musical instruments and singing voices! We have
      chosen Amnesty International as the beneficiary of this year's conference,
      and all profits will be donated to them.

      Featuring:
      -Sufi poetry of Islamic mystics: readings from Rumi, and other Sufi poets.
      -Oxford Gamelan Society: Javanese Santiswaran chanting (Islamic).
      -Oxford Drum Troupe: drumming beats from around the world.
      -Ann Lister: She sings her own songs to acoustic guitar with have a Celtic
      theme.
      -'Byrd Chorus & Guests ': Christian Early music group and instruments.
      -Burying Edward: 'new music steeped in Scottish and English folklore.'
      -Oxford City Bellringers: Change ringing on handbells (Mathematically
      permuted 'changes' as would be performed on full-size bells in English
      Church towers).
      -Sharron Kraus: My music is steeped in traditional English, Irish and
      Scottish music as well as being influenced by less traditional artists such
      as Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, The Violent Femmes. I see songwriting as
      mythmaking and a means to explorationof all aspects of the psyche.
      -'Sam Holmes and Dan Fear': Banbury's acoustic duo, signing both traditional
      English Folk songs and their own songs.

      Also Including:
      -Story telling, Lynn Elson: Oxford Poet.

      Ticket price: �10 on door, �8:00 advance.

      Contacts: email: nabarz@... or Glyn tel: 01865 450305.
      We reserve the right to make changes to the programme without prior notice.

      To be on our mailing list, email:
      spiritofpeace2k-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      We would be gratefull if you forwarded this to any interested parties.