Where is he?

  • barrystock@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
      Where is Nasrudin right now, and what is he doing?

      -bs
    • Suriya Osman
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
        Trying to figure out how to handle this *war*.
        salam
        Suriya

        barrystock@... wrote:

        > Where is Nasrudin right now, and what is he doing?
        >
        > -bs
      • Brett W. McCoy
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
          On Fri, 5 Oct 2001 RubyInkMan@... wrote:

          > I am here. I'm fine, thank you.

          No, you're not here. You're there, last time I checked.

          -- Brett
          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
          WRONG!
        • RubyInkMan@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
            --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., Suriya Osman <jsmasna@p...> wrote:
            > Trying to figure out how to handle this *war*.
            > salam
            > Suriya
            >
            > barrystock@m... wrote:
            >
            > > Where is Nasrudin right now, and what is he doing?
            > >
            > > -bs

            I am here. I'm fine, thank you.

            Nasrudin.
          • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
              "nasrudin, what do you think about the twin towers?" "well, it's like
              the states that produced it: big, impressive - and baseless..."
            • Basit Bulbulia
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
                Ummmmmmmmm

                Nasrudin is waiting for the World Trade Centre's to be re-build so that he
                can have a new MacDonalds Franchise oppertunity on the highest floor . . .

                gon'na be a FLY through outlet

                Bye now

                JustBASit

                > Trying to figure out how to handle this *war*.
                > salam
                > Suriya
                >
                > barrystock@m... wrote:
                >
                > > Where is Nasrudin right now, and what is he doing?
                > >
                > > -bs

                I am here. I'm fine, thank you.

                Nasrudin.

              • robertmo@gosympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
                  At 10:07 PM 10/5/01 +0000, Yosy wrote:
                  "nasrudin, what do you think about the twin towers?" "well, it's like
                  the states that produced it: big, impressive - and baseless..."

                  Insensitive. Therefore not funny.

                  Bob

                • Ed Jason
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
                    >Insensitive. Therefore not funny.
                    >
                    >Bob

                    "Nasrudin what is funny?"
                    "When I laugh at your suffering
                    that is funny."
                    "When you laugh at mine it is not."

                    Insensitive Lobster
                  • Ulli Meybohm
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
                      Does somebeody remember the story where Nasrudin said:
                      "I have never had the intention to be funny!"

                      Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2001 01:57 schrieben Sie:

                    • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 6, 2001
                        --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., <robertmo@g...> wrote:
                        > At 10:07 PM 10/5/01 +0000, Yosy wrote:
                        > "nasrudin, what do you think about the twin towers?" "well, it's
                        like
                        > the states that produced it: big, impressive - and baseless..."
                        >
                        > Insensitive. Therefore not funny.
                        >
                        > Bob

                        LOL you call that insensitive? so what about this?

                        Recently many people are expressing opinions, taking for granted that
                        the US is the most powerful country, and bush the most powerful man
                        on the planet. This is so ridiculous. And yet this silly notion
                        brings havoc and endangers our planet's future. Look: America is just
                        a blown-up "slave that rules". Through cunning, greed, intimidation
                        etc the slave feeds on the fat of the earth, utilizing mercilessly
                        natural resources from the whole planet, and flooding it in return
                        with worthless trinkets, which finance it's extravagances. Destroying
                        those who do not cooperate (just the way they treated the local
                        inhabitants of their continent, starting over four hundred years
                        ago). Yet it is almost totally dependent on our (external) resources -
                        and on our willing cooperation. Its apparent power is one big bluff.
                        Just like the symbol of it's vanity, the WTC buildings - which
                        crumbled to dust in a flash - founded on nothing…
                        It is enough if people of the world will open their eyes, refuse to
                        cooperate in the grand scam and just stop buying indiscriminately
                        American worthless "goods" and providing bases for their military
                        aggression; the slave would crumble into dust even faster then it's
                        icons did. And bush - little puppet of the big business, cowardly
                        fart - a leader?! He is an obvious weakling, put into office by those
                        knowing he will do what he is told - no real person there… this - a
                        leader?
                        C'mon, people, rights are taken, not bestowed. Let's get what's ours
                        back; bring the slave back to it's proportions. Or would you rather
                        keep playing along, and serve the slave so he can grow even more fat
                        and intimidating? It is our choice. Wake up!
                        Boycott america, enough if we do not get what they force-feed us,
                        just what we really need. Promote local manufacturers and providers
                        in our own countries. Stop believing american perfectly oiled
                        propaganda machine, designed to confuse wants and needs by addressing
                        itself directly to, and increasing, the greed for possessions and
                        competitiveness. Refuse playing their game! Stop serving the
                        interests of ruthless, cold-hearted business moguls responsible for
                        untold suffering and destruction, and quit supporting their "american
                        way of life". Let's let them manage on their own…
                      • robertmo@gosympatico.ca
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 6, 2001
                          At 07:19 PM 10/6/01 +0000, Yosy wrote:

                          >> Insensitive. Therefore not funny.
                          >>

                          >LOL you call that insensitive? so what about this?
                          <snip>

                          Why post this, Yosy? What does it prove?
                          That bad jokes are mild, compared to what people do to each other?
                          I'm no prude. Neither am I an American.
                          But I don't have to be, to relate to all victims of hatred.

                          Bob

                        • Susan Fabrick
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 7, 2001
                            Insensitive or not . . .  what is funny, Yosy, is that there is not that much in the way of consumer goods that I, a citizen of the midwest United States, buy that is made in America.  Most of the "trinkets" are made in China these days.  I haven't bought an American made car in years.  I live in an industrial stronghold, but manufacturing jobs keep slipping away from the area and going to the lower wage southern states or to Mexico.  Much of what America exports, to the rest of the world's detriment, is ideology rather than concrete material goods.  And somehow we manage to keep hold of far more than our share of the money.

                            I don't take any offense at your characterization of the US but the situation is considerably more complex.  It strikes me though that you are right on the mark about the perception of Bush/US as powerful: powerful only to a point and only in certain ways.  Another perception that has been challenged by recent events is the general feeling by US citizens that the US is a safe place, relatively immune to the events of random destruction that we hear about from the rest of the world.  No one is immune to the mischief that can be unleashed when some entity decides to give in to the destructive impulse.  There are so many ways one can destroy things, so many fewer that build them up.  People in many other parts of the globe have known this from bitter personal experience, and may look at us in horror as babes in the woods finally waking up to the presence of wolves in the forest.  Unfortunately, Americans ! insist that "it's all about us."  It will take more than this to lead us to understand that this lack of security is a common state of most of humanity, not some unfortunate event that has been foisted upon us Americans, the chosen people, to be heroically fought off so we can return to the primeval security that in truth has never existed.

                            My sister forwarded me an E-mail that suggested that Osama Bin Ladin and friends be captured, forced to undergo sex change operations, and returned to live under the Taliban regime as women.  I don't think it qualifies as a Nasrudin solution to the problem but it has its points.

                            --wordy susan
                          • Barry Stock
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 7, 2001
                              barrystock@... wrote:
                              Where is Nasrudin right now, and what is he doing?

                              -bs

                              None of your answers are good enough. Please continue trying.

                              -bs

                            • Joseph Risch

                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 7, 2001
                                  Barry Stock wrote:

                                  > barrystock@... wrote:
                                  >
                                  > None of your answers are good enough. Please continue trying.
                                  >
                                  > -bs

                                  Dear BS,

                                  I have heard that Nasrudin is in Afghanistan,
                                  fighting first on one side and then on the other side...
                                  There were so many pros and cons on each side , and it was nothing black
                                  and white so, he found himself agreeing to all the rhetoric that he
                                  heard on both sides and decided on a roster that included both sides...
                                  You may of course think Nasrudin is a pascifist like Ghandi who does not
                                  believe in fighting but, in actually fact he is a much more practical
                                  person and does believe in using force to get the message across..
                                  salam
                                  Suriya
                                • Ulli Meybohm
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 8, 2001
                                    chai, smoke, fishing....

                                    Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2001 02:59 schrieben Sie:

                                  • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 8, 2001
                                      --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., Ulli Meybohm <ulli@m...> wrote:
                                      > chai, smoke, fishing....
                                      >
                                      > Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2001 02:59 schrieben Sie:
                                      > > applying for a student visa?

                                      Service.

                                      > > None of your answers are good enough. Please continue trying.
                                      > >
                                      > > -bs

                                      LOL you are probably right, ulli...

                                      btw, i'm moving to another house in the last days. and behind the
                                      books i found an old envelope - and in it the underground english
                                      translation of "the papalagi", published in '74 in amsterdam!

                                      yosy
                                    • fariz
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 8, 2001
                                        Hi Yosy, if there aren't any copyright problems, any chance of posting it
                                        perhaps to files section here?
                                        fariz
                                        > books i found an old envelope - and in it the underground English
                                        > translation of "the papalagi", published in '74 in Amsterdam!
                                        >
                                        > yosy

                                      • Ulli Meybohm
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 8, 2001
                                          > btw, i'm moving to another house in the last days. and behind the
                                          > books i found an old envelope - and in it the underground english
                                          > translation of "the papalagi", published in '74 in amsterdam!

                                          Cool, so I don't have to translate them again!
                                          Hope everything went fine with the moving, Yosy.
                                          So far I have translated one of the Papalagi stories, so
                                          at least one is english and digital.
                                          I think we can post them here, they are posted in german
                                          on some web sites too. What do you think Yosy, does the
                                          underground translation say something about the copyright issues?
                                          (Probably a dumb question...)

                                          All rights reversed.
                                          uncopyrighted
                                          Ulli
                                        • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                            --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., "fariz" <fariz@n...> wrote:
                                            > Hi Yosy, if there aren't any copyright problems, any chance of
                                            posting it
                                            > perhaps to files section here?
                                            > fariz

                                            hi fariz,
                                            well, sounds good; but it'll have to wait a while. for once, i have
                                            no scanner (no big problem, i'll use one of my friends); and second -
                                            we are still in the process of mooving, so everything is in a mess...
                                            in fact, my pc is in my old appartament and i'm driving there to
                                            check my mail and stuff - but inshallah when i'll settle down...
                                          • fariz
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                              Thanks Yosy, looking forward to it.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                                --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., Ulli Meybohm <ulli@m...> wrote:
                                                > > btw, i'm moving to another house in the last days. and behind the
                                                > > books i found an old envelope - and in it the underground english
                                                > > translation of "the papalagi", published in '74 in amsterdam!
                                                >
                                                > Cool, so I don't have to translate them again!
                                                > Hope everything went fine with the moving, Yosy.
                                                > So far I have translated one of the Papalagi stories, so
                                                > at least one is english and digital.
                                                > I think we can post them here, they are posted in german
                                                > on some web sites too. What do you think Yosy, does the
                                                > underground translation say something about the copyright issues?
                                                > (Probably a dumb question...)
                                                >
                                                > All rights reversed.
                                                > uncopyrighted
                                                > Ulli

                                                hi ulli, thanks. :) the process of moving is still going on... but it
                                                will be over shortly, inshallah. as to the copyright - i knew the
                                                guys that owned the company that published it, and they gave me then
                                                (in '76, i think) permission to do whatever i want with it (i
                                                translated it to hebrew and lost the draft somewhere - who knows, i
                                                may find it too, someday). so, you may go ahead and post your
                                                translation (sorry, did not have time to edit it :( but maybe someone
                                                else will - lobster? fariz? barry? anyone?), even in draft form the
                                                gist will get through...
                                                best regards, yosy.
                                              • Barry Stock
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                                  :( but maybe someone
                                                  else will - lobster? fariz? barry? anyone?), even in draft form the
                                                  gist will get through...
                                                  best regards, yosy.
                                                  I think the gist, (the "geist", the spirit), might only be gotten with a great deal of suffering and moaning if we use a translation engine. It's going to require human work, even if it's only scanning. Do you have an OCR program?

                                                  Moving is hard, even a good move. You have my sympathies.

                                                  -bs

                                                • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                                    hi barry,
                                                    ulli translated himself a chapter from the papalagi, and i reffered
                                                    to it. and it's a good draft - though it may need some editing;
                                                    english is not ulli's mother tonque... if you wish, i'm sure ulli
                                                    will submit it to you - though i believe it's quite ok and may be
                                                    posted even in it's present form...
                                                    yosy.
                                                  • Ulli Meybohm
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 10, 2001
                                                      So, here is the text. Would be cool, if somebody would volunteer to check my
                                                      translation for mistakes (grammar, syntax, spelling).

                                                      Ulli
                                                    • Ulli Meybohm
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 10, 2001
                                                        Sorry, I sent the wrong file. Here is the last draft.

                                                        Am Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2001 12:11 schrieben Sie: