our hero finds himself

  • lobster
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 1999
      our hero finds himself feeling rather disoriented when amidst the
      population in crowded Baghdad:

      "I wonder how people manage to keep track of themselves, who they are, in
      a place like this... I must remember myself well, otherwise I might lose
      myself."

      He confided in a neighbor who advised him, jokingly, to tie an inflated
      bladder around his leg when he fell asleep; in this way, he would be able
      to find himself again when he woke up. Nasrudin took the joker's advice.

      A couple of hours later, the Mulla awoke. He looked for the bladder and
      found it tied to the leg of the joker, who had fallen asleep as well.
      "Yes, that is me," he thought. Then in a frenzy of fear he started
      pummelling the other man: "Wake up! Something has happened, as I thought
      it would! Your idea is no good!"

      The man woke up and asked him what the trouble was. Nasrudin pointed to
      the bladder. "I can tell by the bladder that you are me. But if you are me
      -- who, for the love of goodness, AM I?"