Re: wasted

  • Germaine
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 1999
      At 02:56 AM 7/3/99 +0100, lobster, wrote:

      >From: Jan Watson <jan.watson@...>
      >
      >There is a wonderful story of Nasrudin rowing a teacher across the lake
      >in his little boat. The teacher remarked on Nasrudin's poor grammatical
      >structures and comment that "half your life has been wasted" as a result
      >of his ignorance. Just then, a storm blew up and the boat begin to
      >sink. Nasrudin turned to the pedant and asked if he knew how to swim.
      >"No" remarked the teacher.
      >"Well then, all your life has been wasted, " noticed Nasrudin.

      This story is also one of my favourites..
      At the joke level, I'm with Nasrudin. I like his no-nonsense attitude,
      his practicality. He cuts through the pretense and gets at the bottom line
      pretty fast...
      Common sense and a dry way of delivering it -always makes me laugh..

      On a slightly deeper level, What does it matter in the end -filling ourselves
      with book-learning -if we don't learn anything from it..? If it's all theory and
      doesn't change us for the better..?

      And what's this 'swimming' Nasrudin is talking about..?
      I think it means moving in a different dimension than the one we're used to..
      Acquiring a new way of thinking.
      And it means action..practical action..
      The Sufis place no real value on intellect that's used as an end in itself.
      Clever debate might be absorbing, but what do we know, really KNOW..?
      Do we know words, or the experience of what's real..?

      I admit that if I like the story, it's probably for another reason as well:
      I'm like the Nasrudin of this tale: I don't know the 'proper' language.
      But I see that all is not lost, or wasted -if I learn how to swim..

      And finally, who would believe that the pedant of the story was left to drown..?
      With all his gruff manner, I'm sure that Nasrudin brought him to safety..
      where his experience gave him a second chance to re-think his priorities.

      love
      Germaine :)
    • lobster