Re: passing justice

  • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., Barry Stock <barrystock@m...> wrote:

      <snip>\
      To me this seems like a lesson in karma. Nasrudin believes he can
      transfer the karmic debt from himself to the judge, when in trying to
      do so he creates a karmic debt for himself. So, the universe will
      balance itself out, but not Nasrudin's way.

      -bs

      :) well, it seems to me nasrudin simply transfers the responsibility
      back to the judge; and thus enables him to sample the taste of his
      own verdict...
    • Steve Clavey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        And what about:

        the explosive and self-perpetuating nature of violence

        The question of the exchange of money as recompence for violence:
        realizing that it is scripturally sanctioned, it might still lead us to consider
            1) does it work? (ie is the cycle of violence ended)
            2) how does it work? Is it incitement of greed, intended to overcome anger?

        that "the Law" passes judgement, but has no real stake in Justice.

        Steve
      • yosyflug@isdn.net.il
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
          --- In Nasrudin_Study@y..., "Steve Clavey" <clavey@m...> wrote:
          > And what about:
          >
          > the explosive and self-perpetuating nature of violence
          >
          > The question of the exchange of money as recompence for violence:

          :) incidently, in hebrew, the word for "money" is "blood"
          ("dam", "damim")

          > realizing that it is scripturally sanctioned, it might still lead
          us to consider
          > 1) does it work? (ie is the cycle of violence ended)

          apparently it does... even in the bedouin tradition, there is a
          possibility to end a blood feud by paying an agreed material
          recompensation in a "sulha" (forgiveness) ceremony.

          > 2) how does it work? Is it incitement of greed, intended to
          overcome anger?

          interesting idea... though it seems to me that it has to do also,
          simply, with the pocket being the most sensitive part of human
          body... as well as the recompensation assisting the victim's and/or
          dependents recovery.

          > that "the Law" passes judgement, but has no real stake in Justice.
          >
          > Steve

          "when there are rights, there is no love; but love has all the rights"

          seems law begins where justice ends...

          nasrudin was asked to divide justly an amount of fruit among some
          people. "do you want it divided according to human justice or god's
          justice?" he asked. "god's justice!" declared the people unanimously.
          so nasrudin gave one a handful, another a whole pile, the third
          slightly less then first, etc... "what are you doing?!" asked the
          astonished people. "well, you wanted divine justice, no? if you've
          asked for human justice i would have divided it equally" said
          nasrudin.