Emptiness, Fullness, and Spiritual Values

  • Tom Bombadil
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 1998
      Mulla Nasrudin was asked to give a talk about time management and how
      to fit spiritual practise into a busy life schedule.

      The Mulla began by pulling out a one-gallon, wide-mouthed mason jar.
      He placed the jar on a table in front of him. Then Mulla produced about
      a dozen fist-sized rocks and carefully placed them, one at a time, into
      the jar. As usual, people began to whisper and wonder why the Mulla
      was doing something strange, as they'd come to expect of him, instead
      of giving a talk like normal religious teachers did. When the jar was
      filled to the top and no more rocks would fit inside, the Mulla asked,
      "Oh people, is this jar full?"

      The crowd in unison said, "Yes, Mulla."

      "Really?" snarled Nasrudin. He reached under the table and pulled out
      a bucket of gravel. Then he dumped some gravel in and shook the jar,
      causing pieces of gravel to work themselves down into the spaces
      between the big rocks. The Mulla then asked the group once more,
      "Oh people, is the jar full now?"

      By this time the class was onto him. "Probably not," one answered.

      "Good!" replied the Mulla.

      He reached under the table and brought out a bucket of sand. He started
      dumping the sand in and it went into all the spaces left between the
      rocks and gravel. Once more he asked the question, "Is it full now?"

      "No!" the crowd shouted in unison.

      Once again the Mulla said, "Good!"

      Then he grabbed a pitcher of water and began to pour it in until the
      jar was filled to the brim. Then he looked up at the class and asked,
      "Now tell me, oh people, what is the point of this illustration?"

      One eager beaver raised his hand and said, "the point is that all
      things, even though they seem full, are inherently empty of self."

      "No!" snarled Nasrudin. "This is a Nasrudin story, not a Zen story,
      you silly Buddhist. Anyone else want to try?"

      Another eager beaver raised her hand and suggested, "is the point that
      no matter how full your schedule is, if you try really hard, you can
      always fit some more stuff into it?"

      "No," the Mulla replied. "That's not the point either. The truth this
      illustration teaches us is that if we don't get our values straight
      and attend to the biggest things of value to us in life first, we'll
      never fit them in at all!"
    • AEISHA786
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 1998
        I haven't been receiving any mail. Is anyone else experiencing this?

        Peace,
        Aeisha
      • mohsen
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 1998
          Yes, i haven't been receiving any mail either, here is one:

          The King announced that he wants a teacher to teach a donkey how to read.
          The teacher will be rewarded if successful but if he fails he will be
          sentenced to death.

          Nasrudin applied for the job. He asked the King to supply the donkey, 50
          Dinars every month for his expenses and he said that it will take him 10
          years to do the job.

          A man asked Nasrudin: " i know that you won't be able to make good on your
          promise, so how are you going to avoid the death penalty at the end of the
          ten years?"

          Nasrudin replied: "in 10 years either the donkey, myself or the King will
          be dead".

          mohsen

          PS: This is one of the stories i read long time ago in Egypt. It was
          written in Arabic (no copyrights)

          > "AEISHA786" <aeisha786@...> wrote
          >
          > I haven't been receiving any mail. Is anyone else experiencing this?
          >
          > Peace,
          > Aeisha
        • Lobster
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 1998
            >From: "AEISHA786" <aeisha786@...>
            >
            >I haven't been receiving any mail. Is anyone else experiencing
            this?

            >Peace,
            >Aeisha

            Nasrudin complained: "Why is it that people who have money, never
            share their good fortune with others?"
            Nasrudin's donkey: "But Mullah, when you have money you never share
            it"
            Nasrudin: "I never have any money. Besides I am always willing to
            share what I do have - poverty."

            Nasrudin's donkey: "Mullah why do you make not effort to accumulate
            wealth and share it with others?"
            Mullah: "I do not wish to deprive others of their efforts and
            generosity of providing me with donations."

            "Mullah is it better to give or to receive?"
            Nasrudin: "It is a question of perspective: For you it is better to
            give. From my perspective it is better to receive."

            Be Well
            Lobster
          • Lobster
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 1998
              >From: "mohsen" <mohsen@...>
              >
              >Yes, i haven't been receiving any mail either, here is one:

              ------- this is the reason you have not received mail ------------

              System Maintenance

              ONElist is currently down for system maintenance. The maintenance
              began at 7:30pm Pacific Time and is scheduled to last approximately
              3 hours.

              All email will be delivered once the system is brought back up.

              The ONElist Team

              Obviously you will not recieve this message until such time as it no
              longer applies.
              Nasrudin would be proud . . .

              Be Well
              Mullah Lobster