AOE Scenarios

  • Tim Frank
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 6:43 AM
      Bill;
      Are ther any plans for coming out with a scenario book for AOE? I
      believe it would be a good addition to the system. Maybe along the
      lines of F&F's Eastern Battles and Western Battles scenario books.
      TimF
    • Colonel (Ret) Bill Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 11:16 AM
        Yes indeed, that is the plan. We are thinking of doing one pretty soon after we publish AOE (will obviously hafta see how it sells), then one a year therafter.

        Warmest regards,

        // Bill //

        Wilbur E. Gray
        Colonel, US Army (Ret)

        >>> Tim
        Frank<tbf1957@...> 4/1/2004 6:43:10 AM >>>
        Bill;
          Are ther any plans for coming out with a scenario book for AOE?  I
        believe it would be a good addition to the system.  Maybe along the
        lines of F&F's Eastern Battles and Western Battles scenario books.
          TimF

      • rwphillipsstl
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2 6:19 AM
          I would think that a decent scenario booklet, containing the info as
          both an OOB and in terms of AOE elements, would sell well to the
          entire Napoleonic crowd (more casual gamers anyway).

          One of the biggest problems for newbies getting into
          WSS/7YW/Napoleonic/FPW is the dearth of friendly scenario books.
          There's a real hole there ready for someone to exploit for the
          benefit of all of the various rule systems.

          --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Colonel (Ret) Bill
          Gray"<hmgs1@h...> wrote:
          > Yes indeed, that is the plan. We are thinking of doing one pretty
          soon after we publish AOE (will obviously hafta see how it sells),
          then one a year therafter.

          > Warmest regards,
          >
          > // Bill //
          >
          > Wilbur E. Gray
          > Colonel, US Army (Ret)

          > Bill;
          > Are ther any plans for coming out with a scenario book for AOE?
          > believe it would be a good addition to the system. Maybe along the
          > lines of F&F's Eastern Battles and Western Battles scenario books.
          > TimF
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mage
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2 7:12 AM
            rwphillipsstl wrote on 4/02/04 8:19 AM

            >I would think that a decent scenario booklet, containing the info as
            >both an OOB and in terms of AOE elements, would sell well to the
            >entire Napoleonic crowd (more casual gamers anyway).

            Given an OOB stated in generic terms, I would agree.
          • Colonel (Ret) Bill Gray
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2 11:21 AM
              I envision a scenario book looking pretty much like the Austerlitz scenario in AOE. It will break down the armies in terms of AOE leaders, brigades and batteries, but will also have the historical OB as well (so you'll know that 1813 brigade R 10/8/5 actually has 1 bn 1st Westfalen Jaegers, 2 bns Saxon Grenadier Bns Winkel and Blinkel, as well as 2 bns French 103d Ligne). My thought here was that a lot of folks don't have the US Army Military History Institute sitting around the corner like I do, yet need such information for painting their armies correctly. And unlike the ACW, this is not an era where butternut will kinda do for everyone.

              Warmest regards,

              // Bill //

              Wilbur E. Gray
              Colonel, US Army (Ret)

              mage<mage@...> 4/2/2004 7:12:19 AM >>>
              rwphillipsstl wrote on 4/02/04 8:19 AM

              >I would think that a
              decent scenario booklet, containing the info as
              >both an OOB and in terms
              of AOE elements, would sell well to the
              >entire Napoleonic crowd (more
              casual gamers anyway).

              Given an OOB stated in generic terms, I would agree.

            • William D. Ponder
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2 6:58 PM
                I know that you are not wild about the Peninsular War but don't
                forget those of us who enjoy a challenge (or are masochists, take
                your pick) and command Spanish Armies. Maybe your AoE Scenario books
                should be by campaign or theater. But by any means print scenarios,
                please!

                ---Bill Ponder

                Gray"<hmgs1@h...> wrote:
                > I envision a scenario book looking pretty much like the Austerlitz
                scenario in AOE. It will break down the armies in terms of AOE
                leaders, brigades and batteries, but will also have the historical
                OB as well (so you'll know that 1813 brigade R 10/8/5 actually has 1
                bn 1st Westfalen Jaegers, 2 bns Saxon Grenadier Bns Winkel and
                Blinkel, as well as 2 bns French 103d Ligne). My thought here was
                that a lot of folks don't have the US Army Military History
                Institute sitting around the corner like I do, yet need such
                information for painting their armies correctly. And unlike the ACW,
                this is not an era where butternut will kinda do for everyone.

                > Warmest regards,
                >
                > // Bill //
                >
                > Wilbur E. Gray
                > Colonel, US Army (Ret)

              • COL (R) Bill Gray
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5 5:53 AM
                  Actually, I think you may have a good suggestion here. I think a
                  book exclusive to Spain, or other periods/theaters, might well be
                  the best way to market such a product. And I am really not that dead
                  set against the Peninsula. Its just that as AOE is supposed to be a
                  big battle game, the bigger battles happened outside Spain.
                  Interestingly enough however, my favorite battles from the Peninsula
                  War ARE those that involve the Spanish and French only.

                  Regards, Bill Gray

                  --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "William D. Ponder"
                  <continental_line@y...> wrote:
                  > I know that you are not wild about the Peninsular War but don't
                  > forget those of us who enjoy a challenge (or are masochists, take
                  > your pick) and command Spanish Armies. Maybe your AoE Scenario
                  books
                  > should be by campaign or theater. But by any means print
                  scenarios,
                  > please!
                  >
                  > ---Bill Ponder

                  > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Colonel (Ret) Bill
                  > Gray"<hmgs1@h...> wrote:
                  > > I envision a scenario book looking pretty much like the
                  Austerlitz
                  > scenario in AOE. It will break down the armies in terms of AOE
                  > leaders, brigades and batteries, but will also have the historical
                  > OB as well (so you'll know that 1813 brigade R 10/8/5 actually has
                  1
                  > bn 1st Westfalen Jaegers, 2 bns Saxon Grenadier Bns Winkel and
                  > Blinkel, as well as 2 bns French 103d Ligne). My thought here was
                  > that a lot of folks don't have the US Army Military History
                  > Institute sitting around the corner like I do, yet need such
                  > information for painting their armies correctly. And unlike the
                  ACW,
                  > this is not an era where butternut will kinda do for everyone.
                  > >
                  > > Warmest regards,
                  > >
                  > > // Bill //
                  > >
                  > > Wilbur E. Gray
                  > > Colonel, US Army (Ret)

                • William D. Ponder
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8 6:52 PM
                    You might want to add some of those smaller battles. (Corps vs.
                    Corps size) For those who are not lucky enough to have a gaming club
                    near by or a quick "pick up game" on an unexpectedly free afternoon.

                    ---Bill Ponder

                    --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "COL (R) Bill Gray"
                    <hmgs1@h...> wrote:
                    > Actually, I think you may have a good suggestion here. I think a
                    > book exclusive to Spain, or other periods/theaters, might well be
                    > the best way to market such a product. And I am really not that
                    dead
                    > set against the Peninsula. Its just that as AOE is supposed to be
                    > big battle game, the bigger battles happened outside Spain.
                    > Interestingly enough however, my favorite battles from the
                    Peninsula
                    > War ARE those that involve the Spanish and French only.
                    >
                    > Regards, Bill Gray
                    >
                    > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "William D. Ponder"
                    > <continental_line@y...> wrote:
                    > > I know that you are not wild about the Peninsular War but don't
                    > > forget those of us who enjoy a challenge (or are masochists,
                    take
                    > > your pick) and command Spanish Armies. Maybe your AoE Scenario
                    > books
                    > > should be by campaign or theater. But by any means print
                    > scenarios,
                    > > please!
                    > >
                    > > ---Bill Ponder

                  • COL (R) Bill Gray
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 12 6:44 AM
                      Will do. While AOE is designed for big battles, several folks have
                      written me that using the rules for a small battle like Quatre Bras
                      is perfect when you only have two players.

                      This one was a Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh. When I play Quatre Bras at the
                      battalion From Valmy to Waterloo level, its usually with about three
                      folks per side.

                      BTW, sorry it took so long to answer - just busy, busy, busy at work.