Regiment Joseph Napoleon

  • Rafael Pardo Almudí
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hi
      I have two questions about that spanish regiment that accompanied
      Napoleon to Russia
      1) This unit appear listed in the Nafziger book 'Napoleon in Russia'
      in two Corps, namely the Davout's I Corps and the Eugene's IV Corps.
      What was its correct assignement?
      2) Where in the web could I to find a picture of the flag of this
      unit to download it?
      Thanks
      Rafa
      (http://www.geocities.com/rafael_pardo_almudi)
    • ed_youngstrom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Pardo Almudí
        <rpardo@q...> wrote:
        > Hi
        > I have two questions about that spanish regiment that accompanied
        > Napoleon to Russia

        Rafael,

        Regiment Joseph-Napoleon was in both! The 1st battalion served in
        Friant's division of I Corps, and the 2nd and 3rd battalions were in
        Broussier's division of IV Corps.

        Sorry, but I can't find my copy of the flag...

        Ed
      • mrieder@uwo.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          Rafeal:

          Interesting choice of troops - further to Ed's point, originally raised in
          1809 from Spanish prisoners captured in Denmark and at it's height four
          battalions strong - served as noted in I and IV Corps in Russia - Spanish
          troops were in action at Mohilev, Borodino, Krasnoi, near the Beresina and at
          Vilna and then were heavily involved in the campaigns in Germany, including
          Leipzig, until they were disbanded in May 1814.

          Again, as with Ed, sorry but I am of no help with the flag.

          Yours

          MJR

          > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Pardo Almudí
          > <rpardo@q...> wrote:
          > > Hi
          > > I have two questions about that spanish regiment that accompanied
          > > Napoleon to Russia
          >
          > Rafael,
          >
          > Regiment Joseph-Napoleon was in both! The 1st battalion served in
          > Friant's division of I Corps, and the 2nd and 3rd battalions were in
          > Broussier's division of IV Corps.
          >
          > Sorry, but I can't find my copy of the flag...
          >
          > Ed

        • ed_youngstrom
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
            --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "ed_youngstrom"
            <EYoungstrom@s...> wrote:

            > Sorry, but I can't find my copy of the flag...
            >
            > Ed

            Which would be because I don't have one! But in Guy
            Dempsey's "Napoleon's Mercenaries," he quotes a War Ministry message
            that states the regiment had no Eagle, but it did have 4 flags (one
            per battalion?), each a tricolor with the coat of arms of His
            Catholic Majesty of Spain.

            Ed
          • Rafael Pardo Almudí
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
              Many thanks!
              I have found a Tafel picture reference
              http://www.brigade.napoleon-online.de/tafel76.gif
              with shows a scheme of the flag (at a low resolution)