Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Rules query: Incidental stands in breakthrough moves

  • allan.mountford@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 24, 2012
      Hi John
      We played the game with the rules as written (and as you describe).
      I would agree with your second paragraph.
      Allan
      Sent using BlackBerry� from Orange

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
        Allan

        iirc to count LoBS the second line of stands has to have at least half the number of stands of the front rank but the second rank can be formed from two or more brigades if necessary.

        In your example of X/Y if X was 8 stands and Y 10 stands but only <=3 stands of Y were behind/within one inch of X it would not count as supporting.

        If there were =4 stands of Y behind X it would count as supporting but only as incidental combat.

        If there were 5=> stands of Y behind X it would count as supporting and participating.

        Drew

      • allan.mountford@virgin.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
          Drew
          Yes - agreed.
          Allan
          Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

          > I made an error in the diagram: the intent was to show each unit in Line of Battle (single rank) not Line of Battle Supported (two ranks). Would that change any of the replies?

          LOBS is defined on p.27. Y would count as supporting X if it meets the requirement where LOBS is formed by 2 (or more) units in line for the supporting line to have at least half as many stands as the front line.

          Your following question about what happens if less than half of Y is directly behind X is, I think, a bit of a grey area if this means that the part of Y behind X is less than half the strength of X. My belief is that, in such a case, Y would not be supporting X and would not be a participating unit in the combat - but this is an opinion, I cannot cite a rule to reinforce it.

          John

          > ***Big note to self*** More significantly, the retreat 2" after combat result is something I must edit on my play sheets. We habitually move the retreating unit(s) before the victorious unit(s), resulting in a retreat of 2" when it should actually be 3", or whatever distance is necessary to leave a 2" distance between the combatants after the attacker has carried the position.
          >
          > Allan
          >
          > --- In mailto:NapoleonicFireandFury%40yahoogroups.com, Wilbur Gray <hmgs1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Don’t have the rules in front of me right now, but what John wrote seems right on the money.
          > >

          > > Colonel Bill
          > >

          > > Sent from Windows Mail

        • Phil Callcott
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
            Friday night, in one move from south working north we had the following B&S combats.

            Just to the rear of the Bagration Fletches one French inf masse vs Russian infantry in LoBS - French victory, optional breakthrough not taken (Russian cuirassiers to flank)

            East of Semyanovskaya, on the rising ground one French cav LoBS vs two detatched Russian batteries - French destroyed.

            Immediately to their left one French cav LoBS vs a detatched Russian battery plus inf in LoBS - French victory, compulsory breakthrough, which scatters the two victorious batteries from above.

            Russian squares - not in combat

            To the rear of the Raevsky redoubt, French inf LoBS vs a detatched Russian battery plus inf in LoBS - French victory, compulsory breakthrough, which smashes the above squares.

            North of the Raevsky redoubt, French inf LoBS vs two Russian inf in LoBS, one behind another - minimal French victory, 2" Russian retreat, 1" French advance.

            Immediately to their left one French inf LoBS vs two more Russian inf in LoBS, one behind another - French victory, compulsary breakthrough which inclines right to clobber the retreated Russians from the above B&S.

            Just to show why things get complicated sometimes - and that not eveything is in masse.

            Regards Phil

            PS, some of the "French" were actally Italian.

          • Drew Jarman
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
              Phil

              Its either a madman or a fool that forms masse and frontally charges au uphill redoubt full of guns (well it would be if the masse counted as an enfiladed target at all times). Its a viable tactic the ways the rules are currently written though :-)

              Sounds like you are having fun.

              I am looking forward to our 1805 game next Sunday. The first one in many months due to the players have too many conflicting outside issues in the time poor lives :-(

              Drew
              Sent from my iPhone

              On 25 Nov 2012, at 19:58, Phil Callcott <armatwom@...> wrote:

              > Friday night, in one move from south working north we had the following B&S combats.
              >
              > Just to the rear of the Bagration Fletches one French inf masse vs Russian infantry in LoBS - French victory, optional breakthrough not taken (Russian cuirassiers to flank)
              >
              > East of Semyanovskaya, on the rising ground one French cav LoBS vs two detatched Russian batteries - French destroyed.
              >
              > Immediately to their left one French cav LoBS vs a detatched Russian battery plus inf in LoBS - French victory, compulsory breakthrough, which scatters the two victorious batteries from above.
              >
              > Russian squares - not in combat
              >
              > To the rear of the Raevsky redoubt, French inf LoBS vs a detatched Russian battery plus inf in LoBS - French victory, compulsory breakthrough, which smashes the above squares.
              >
              > North of the Raevsky redoubt, French inf LoBS vs two Russian inf in LoBS, one behind another - minimal French victory, 2" Russian retreat, 1" French advance.
              >
              > Immediately to their left one French inf LoBS vs two more Russian inf in LoBS, one behind another - French victory, compulsary breakthrough which inclines right to clobber the retreated Russians from the above B&S.
              >
              > Just to show why things get complicated sometimes - and that not eveything is in masse.
              >
              > Regards Phil
              >
              > PS, some of the "French" were actally Italian.

            • Mike Leese
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                I think, bearing in mind the size of your battles, first calculate the pursuit distance, then move the retreats, taking this into account, then move the pursuers. This saves extra movement and interpenetration.

                Mike

                Sent from my iPhone

              • allan.mountford@virgin.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Drew
                  The Raevsky redoubt is not quite as formidable as it first appears. OK, the cover is useful (-3), but it only holds 18 guns (one and a half batteries) and both count unattached (-2), plus the defending fire can only target one or two targets per move allowing at least one attacking masse to arrive in B&S untouched, given judicious use of passage of lines.
                  Borodino has been a better game than I first thought, but only because the French have been consistently aggressive. Put a passive player as French C-in-C and the Russians will have a relatively easy time of it.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Unattached?
                    Wtf why not attach an very small inf brigade behind the guns?

                    Then try attacking it :-)

                    Drew
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                      Attach in the rear?
                      Don't attached batteries have to be in the front rank?

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                        Afaik a battery my be attached at the end of a brigade, in the front rank anywhere in middle (approx) or even at the head of a stationary column/masse/small brigade.

                        In you scenario the battery is 1.5 batteries so placing an attached masse or 4 stand brigade in LoBS behind would be legal imho. Unless Bill rules otherwise ?

                        Drew
                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                          Allan

                          Forgot to add I have seen pics showing a battery in the front rank with infantry stands either side and also running along the rear of the battery. So you could fit in approx five inf stands behind 18 guns for the same frontage.

                          Drew
                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                            Hi Drew,
                            According to AoE, batteries HAVE to be attached to either or both flanks of a masse.
                            Regards Phil

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                              I’ve house ruled that a gun line counts as supported if backed by infantry. I found that otherwise it is too easy to overrun a gun line with cavalry

                              Michael Brown
                              mwsaber6@...
                              Sheridan, WY

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                                So a simple solution is attach a small brigade in LoBS behind the battery and only count the front rank and batteries for b&s.

                                I personally hate masse formations as they are wrongly modelled imho in AoE, though if they counted as enfiladed at all times then that world sort it out afai like.

                                Drew
                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                                  Hi Drew,

                                  I may regret this, but what does "Afaik" and "afai like" mean?

                                  Me no text speak.

                                  Thanks Phil

                                • rick_lynch@q.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                                    As Far As I Know =afaik

                                    As Far AS I like=afai like

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                                      As Far As I Know
                                      :-)

                                      Drew
                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                                        Rick, Drew,

                                        Thanks, you've both earned a good lossock.

                                        Regards Phil

                                        From: Drew Jarman < andrewjarman@... >
                                        To: " NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com " < NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com >
                                        Date: Monday, 26 November, 2012, 18:24