Upcoming Ospreys

  • Drew Jarman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
      I hope you excuse the advertising of Osprey publishing?

      I see that Osprey are advertising Fields of Glory Napoleonic for pre-order in three months so expect it to be available by March 2012 and it’s ONLY £25-00 !! Given that the Napoleonic era is saturated with rules and concepts it will be interesting if this new addition becomes more than just another set that sits on the shelf gathering dust along with the 200 or so other sets out there.

      Regards

      Drew

      Lifted from Ospreys website

      General 1
      Author:Slitherine
      Illustrator:Peter Dennis
      About this book
      Field of Glory Napoleonic is written in an approachable and easy-to-learn manner to allow players to concentrate on realistic deployments and battlefield tactics of the early modern era. FOGN will cater for both types of player, with a full point system allowing theoretical battles between balanced armies to be played out, as well as accommodating factual scenarios. The rulebook will maintain the same production values as previous FOG and FOGR releases and will be designed both to explain the game and be a reference guide when playing. To make the rules easier to follow, we will include examples, detailed descriptions and explanations of unusual situations in a similar way to our Ancients and Renaissance rulebooks.
      Contents

      a.. Introduction
      b.. The Basics
      c.. Battle Groups
      d.. Command & Control
      e.. Playing
      f.. Movement Rules
      g.. Impact Phase
      h.. Manoeuvre Phase
      i.. Shooting Phase
      j.. Melee phase
      k.. The Combat Mechanism
      l.. Joint Action Phase
      m.. Battle Group Deterioration
      n.. Victory & Defeat
      o.. Special Features
      p.. App 1: Scales, Base Sizes & Detailed Troop Types
      q.. App 2:Terrain, Visibility & Disorder Effects
      r.. App 3:Terms
      s.. App 4: Full Set Up Rules
      t.. App 5: Army Composition & the Points System
      u.. App 6: Choosing, Painting & Using Your Army
      v.. App 7: Examples of Unusual Situations
      w.. App 8: Full Turn Sequence
      x.. Index
      y.. Reference Sheets
      Hardback; March 2012; 148 pages; ISBN: 9781849089265

      There’s also a new Men at Arms 476 Napoleon’s Swiss Troops for March 2012 at £9-99

      Men-at-Arms 476
      Author:David Greentree
      Illustrator:Gerry Embleton
      About this book
      Ever since the 15th century Switzerland had been exporting professional soldiers to serve as mercenaries for foreign monarchies. Napoleon, therefore, was not the first to make full use of the martial qualities of the Swiss and obtained Swiss agreement to expand the recruitment of regiments for service in the French Army. Napoleon would use Swiss troops on the battlefields of Italy and Spain, and in 1812 re-organize the four original regiments into a single division for the invasion of Russia, with each regiment having three full-strength battalions. In November of 1812, meeting up with Napoleon’s main force retreating from Moscow at the Berezina River, the Swiss on the west bank guarded the approaches to the pontoon bridges from the Russian attack to the south. Just 1,200 Swiss out of the approximately 8,000 that entered Russia were left to face, along with 8,000 other remnants of other units, the 30,000-strong Russian army. The Swiss held their ground and when their ammunition ran out they charged the Russians with bayonets. This book reveals the proud combat history of the Swiss troops of Napoleon’s army as well as the colourful uniforms they wore.
      Contents

      a.. Introduction
      b.. France and Switzerland: military service under the Ancien Regime
      c.. Enlistment of Swiss demi-brigades and legions – Line Regiments – Valais and Neuchatel battalions
      d.. The Demi-brigades: in Switzerland, the West Indies and Trafalgar – absorption of demi-brigades and legions into Line regiments * 1st Swiss Line Regt 1805–11, Italy
      e.. 2nd, 3rd & 4th Line Regts, Valais & Neuchatel Bns, 1805–11, the Peninsular War
      f.. Russia 1812
      g.. Germany and Belgium 1813–15
      Paperback; March 2012; 48 pages; ISBN: 9781849086783

    • Wilbur Gray
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
        The book on the Swiss looks good. I just hope they also put it in a Kindle or Nook format.
        As for FOGN, I did an extensive review on FOG for wargamer.com (go to http://wargamer.com/article/2609/miniatures-game-review-field-of-glory if you want to read it), and I'm not sure it will do all that well. FOG is about EMPIRE level on the complexity scale and absolutely made for tournament play. I THINK its a low level tactical game, but given it has neither a ground or time scale that might be incorrect.
        I don't see folks doing Wagram with this set of rules.

        Warmest regards,

        /// BILL ///

        Wilbur E Gray
        Colonel, US Army (Ret)
        AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+

        http://ageofeagles.grouply.com

        "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

        To: Campaigns_Napoleon@...; NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com; napoleonicwargaming@yahoogroups.com; the_Napoleonic_Era@yahoogroups.com